Pioneer 1014 setup help again

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JoeyR, Feb 20, 2005.

1. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    I have a JVC FA900BK dvd player that has a dts decoder built in, Im going to connect it to my 1014 using a digital cable digital out to digital in on 1014

but there is also something in the JVC manual that talks about connecting to a receiver that has 5.1 channel inputs connecting the analog audio out jacks from dvd player to analog 5.1 channel inputs on 1014

My question is do I have to do both these hookups or are they both the same? or are they 2 complete different things that I need to do.

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Hooking up the 5.1 analog cables allows you the choice of using the dvd players DTS decoder instead of the receivers. This connection must be used if the JVC is dvd-a and/or sacd capable. If it isn't, don't bother with the analog cables, just use the digital. I would think the decoder in the 1014 is at least as good as the JVC's, and probably better, there-by saving you lots on cable costs.

3. Don*A

Don*A Agent

That player does DVD audio not SACD so if you want to play DVD audio discs you will need to use the 6 analog outputs for the DVD audios and a digital for DTS and DD.

4. Steve_L

Steve_L Stunt Coordinator

I have a similar question.

I have a Pioneer DV-578a and a 1014. When I play Sony DSD Multi-channel SACD disks, I need to use the 1014s, "Multi-channel In" button to get playback.

I can use the 578s menu to get the CD layer. (It reads PCM88 Stereo in the 1014s display.)

So, my conlcusing here is that Multi-channel SACD is only at the analog outputs of the player, and therefore the receiver can only get multi-channel analog in? Unlike, Dolby Digital, for instance, off my cable tv system. Or from a DD movie soudtrack from my DVD player.

5. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    DVD-A and SACD, both m/c and 2ch, are only outputted(?) thru the 5.1 analog cables. DD and DTS are available thru both 5.1 analog and digital (coaxal/toslink) connections. This is why you need the six extra cables for DVD-A/SACD playback. Hope this re-affirms your conclusion.

6. Steve_L

Steve_L Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Gene.