Pioneer 1014 or HK AVR-325?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Sean Mc, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Sean Mc

Sean Mc Agent

Short version: Which would you pick?

Long version:

I'm basically in a situation where I could take my pic of either.

I had the HK and then circumstances arose where I needed to get a $200 to $300 receiver for a family I was building a HT for from my old parts.

I went to Best Buy and found a floor model 1014 for $287 so I picked it up.

I haven't set it up yet, but I have it in my house and the family is using my HK for now.

They said they don't care which receiver they end up having in the end, so I basically have a choice of keeping this Pioneer I just got or taking my HK back.

I could bring them in and do a demo, but that would leave them without a receiver for however long I had both, so I'd rather just make a decision without a demo if possible.

I just got some new speakers which was the catalyst for this whole situation of setting up a HT with my old stuff.

I jumped on the Onix Rocket 550 Ultra Home Theater Deal so I have four 550s and a 200 center. (6 ohm and 4 ohm respectively, but only towards the low end I've been told, and I'll be crossing them over to my SVS PB-10 at around 80hz probably)

I'll be using my system for mainly movies with some gaming and some music.

So, any thoughts on the matter?

I haven't even listened to my Rockets yet, but I plan to hook up my system tonight. I'll see how I like the Pioneer setup and such [​IMG]

Oh, and a related bummer: the Pioneer didn't come with the microphone, so I wont be able to use MCACC until I get a replacement mic. Does anybody know where I could find one for cheap? (Pioneer sells them for $35-ish)

2. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

The pioneer is good with movies. It's also newer and supports DPL IIx for a 7.1 set up. I'm not too sure if the 1014 can drive those 4 ohm speakers well. You may want to test that out before keeping it as I've seen varying results with the 1014 driving 4ohm speakers.

I've heard people using a pc mic and it gave them the same results as the pioneer mic in mcacc.

3. Sean Mc

Sean Mc Agent

Oh, that's neat about the PC mic. Wouldn't Pioneer have calibrated the program to take into account the sensitivity of their mic at certain frequencies though?

I'm going to be running 5.1 for a while, but I'm sure I'll get 7.1 going again eventually. I was happy with Logic 7 on the HK for 7.1 duty.... I'm not sure how the two technologies compare.

I guess I'll try to play some demanding stuff on the 1014 to see how it handles them.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Be careful with the 1014. There seems to be an issue with it where if power is lost while the receiver is on, that you'll end up having to take it in to a service center.

Mine's been in for nearly 2 months.

Here's a thread on it: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=234301

5. Sean Mc

Sean Mc Agent

Yeah, I read that thread already when I saw it.

Seems like an annoying problem to have with it. For an issue like this though, I think I'd rather have to deal with the problem myself than to knowingly push it off on the other family if that's the only reason for picking the HK.

I'm normally don't get warranties on things, but being a floor model, I opted for the $30 4 year warranty from Best Buy, so hopefully if something goes wrong with it, I'll be able to just bring it in and get it fixed (or get a replacement or my money back according to their policy).

Thanks for the heads up.