What's new

Pio PDP-5040HD at Costco (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was at Costco last night and I saw that they have a Pioneer PDP-5040HD plasma screen. Their price is $4999.00 and I think I read on another forum that it's a limit stock. Surprised there isn’t any discussion on it. I did some research on it and learned it’s an older model, 4th generation. Though the reviews were good for it. OF course the newest model, the 5050 has higher PQ and is 5th generation. I’d likely wait a bit before I buy. Just curious about Pioneer and people’s thoughts on their glass compared to Panasonic and others. The Pioneer demo unit there did look pretty darn good!

Thanks.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Everything I've read seems to indicate that the Pioneer is a tradeoff for a brighter picture for lesser quality blacks compared to the Panasonic. My friend just bought a 50" Panasonic from Visualapex for far less than your being quoted and he loves it. I loved it too. In fact it has taught him about the importance of blacks as he argued it wasn't that important when he first got his LCD projector. He now realizes what black is and how important it is.

The only knock on the Panasonic would be to get the one he got, you'd be getting a commercial one vs the Pioneer which I'd be pretty sure is a Retail version which includes the Set top box and tuner.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the insights Shane. I too have heard the praises of Panasonics. I'm looking at the consumer versions of the Panasonics so I can get the tuner and speakers.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The current model of Panasonics are not upgraded to the new glass and such as what's in the Panny my friend bought. They are rereleasing it but sacrificing some features such as PIP and a few other things. Supposedly they are coming out soon. I know Best Buy was closing out the 42" Consumer version.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Shane-

That explains why I saw the Panny at Best Buy last weekend for $500 off.

Will wait a bit and see what comes along from Panasonic.

Thanks, Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks