What's new

Pio DV-563A firmware fix (1 Viewer)

gregD

Second Unit
Here is a forum that is aggressively pursuing the firmware fix to resolve disc compatibilitiy problems with the Pioneer DV-563A universal player:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...ead.php?t=3020

Even after a month of numerous contacts with Pioneer, there still doesn't seem to be a definitve statement of whether firmware can be obtained by customers, or if the firmware can at least make its way to the nearest authorized repair facilities, or if units need to be shipped, or who picks up shipping charges.

The good news is that Pioneer has at least come around to acknowledge the problem, and come up with some kind of fix... furthermore, the fix will presumably be included in new units currently shipping.

For my part, I'm taking a wait-and-see position... haven't bought many hi-res discs, anyway.

DavidK

Grip
Here's the Pioneer Product Support line #: product support line (800)421-1404 (using phone menu choices 1,6) too call.

*ALL*
Update, I just got off the phone with Pioneer support.

According to them, there are 8 service centers in USA that can do the firmware upgrade...the one you'd send to depends on your location. Mine it turns out (I'm in Ga) is Denver Colorado(strange but that was the closest he said). When you call the above Tel nbr, the support person will supply you the name of the closest Service Center to you and their tel nbr - you need to call them(Service Center) b4 you ship it to them!

Also, he said that the owners had to pay for shipping to the Service Center-Pioneer only pays the return shipping

Lastly, there is no known range of serial nbrs for those affected - again according to this support person. He did say that this issue was early yet and that more info &.or repair choices may come available. But, I asked about a firmware CD, specifically, that could be shipped to owners instead of owners having to ship their units off; and he said: "not yet" and that - for now - this was not possible...only repairs available now are thru the 8 specific Service Centers.

How about a large raaazzz for Pioneer on this one -

DarylA

Agent
My understanding is that it occurs with any disc from Warner, Rhino and Universal. I picked up my 563a 3 weeks ago and then found out about this firmware issue. I went in search of a Warner disc to confirm the problem. I picked up The Nightfly by D. Fagen and played it without problem in the DVD-A format on my 563a. Except for being thin with bass (a 563a disadvantage) it played fine. I will be trying T-Rex next. Might some newer models of the 563a have the firmware update?
Daryl

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx for the info. i haven't had any issues yet, but i've only just bought the darn thing ... figures. :rolleyes

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, GregD, for the HFR and Quadrophonicquad.com links. Read the former and am reading the latter but would like to broach this issue here as well:

Is the problem limited to surround mixes or are stereo tracks not playing on some discs as well?

Ironic: in Jan. 1999 I sent my first DVD-V player (the Tosh SD-2108) to the manuf. for firmware upgrade (it supposedly did not play the original Alien) and now it would appear similar hashizzle will be involved on my first uni player. Tosh sent me back a completely different 2108.

-p

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member

Yikes, this isn't true!

This problem happens only with certain new discs made with a certain (new) professional disc authoring software package. And according to a Universal Music employee ("Jimby") posting at the Steve Hoffman forum, unfortunately there are upcoming discs already in the production pipeline authored with this same new software. So Pioneer really needs to hurry up and announce a fix for this problem.

Another irritating fact: at my local Best Buy and Circuit City none of the music software & hardware employees I talked to knew about this problem (so I told them myself). Why didn't corporate HQ send them at least a small note via their own intranet system??? :frowning:

LJ

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: you're kidding right? ;)

i'm pretty sure there's only a few guys in my department who even know about hi-res music and i'm damn nearly positive i'm the only one who is using it at home - and i just bought this player a couple of weeks ago. there's *no way* corporate is going to relay this kind of buggy issue all the way to the retail floor level.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member

Ted: Yea, I know that is pretty much wishful thinking on my part. But what makes me have some hope for it was because this problem is so blantantly obvious and involves money in the three digit range. And when a customer who buys those certain discs for that player (which my local Best Buy goes through like Kleenex) and they don't work, guess who will first feel their wrath? The customer service people. Then, it will be a music software and/or a video department employee. And (duh) offering to replace the disc or the player would do nothing positive for any of the people mentioned so far.

So being the sunshiny optimist that I am :) I figured the respective corporate offices over in Virginia and up in Minnesota would send a message to prevent most of this needless confusion from occurring in the first place (and let Pioneer deal with them instead).

Maybe I should stop watching that show with the purple dinosaur so much................

LJ

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yup, and then they'll just give you a blank stare ... then send you over to either ht or media ... where more blank stares will ensue. :rolleyes::D

Craig Oberg

Agent
When the player first came out, I went through seven players that
had distortions in the center and sub while listening to 2ch 192khz DVD-A
discs through the 5.1 analog outputs with the speakers small and the sub on.
I was told that the fix would require a firmware fix and the firmware is
on an IC chip that has to be replaced.

After about four months of promises, I was instructed to send the player to California.
I got it back and the problems were gone.

I just hope that the fix that lets me play my newer DVD-A
doesn't bring back my old woes.

Does anyone know the secret button sequence to display the firmware version on the
563a?

Craig

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Craig:

I remember reading the thread on this head-scratcher. You have waaay more patience than I if you went through seven units.

What with this firmware upgrade, it's going to be interesting to see how sales of the 563A are possibly impacted by the SD-4960 (Tosh's uni due in June according to the article I link to in my post #10 above).

My first DVD player was a Tosh and it has my favorite navigation and remote of all four players I've owned.

-p

Craig Oberg

Agent
Paul S.

After 4 it became sort of a personal quest to prove I wasn't crazy.
Luckily, Pioneer proved I wasn't, if only in that instance.

I have the 2 year BB extended warranty on the thing and might
go the route of waiting until I know the new DVD-A playability issues
are solved and in the newer product. Then I'll switch it out at BB.
Funny, considering what it took to get the one I've got now fixed.

Hopefully, all this firmware mess will teach Pioneer to go strictly
with firmware that's upgradable by the customer via CD-R.

It's just unfortunate I couldn't talk anyone at Pioneer into telling me
how to display the firmware version, or if it's even a possibility.

Craig

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Craig:

Switch it out for yet another 563A, or a different manu's uni? The latter is what I have in mind for either my 563A (w/ Best Buy's "Performance Service Plan") or my Mitsu DD-8020 (DVD-A; w/ Good Guys' "Extended Service Protection") once Tosh's SD-4960 uni hopfeully comes out as announced in June.

Speaking of, can any "blue shirts" here comment on whether or not the ability to replace products costing less than $200 was changed/impacted when BB changed the name of this coverage program from "Product Replacement Plan" to "Performance Service Plan," apparently sometime just this past spring?

-p

Craig Oberg

Agent
Paul S.

That's a good question. I wouldn't be against switching the 563a out for
the new Toshiba Universal depending on the buzz it gets once it's out.
I'll have to find some info on it's pre-release specs.

I figure it'll only be a week or two until people start getting their
563a's back from Pioneer. And hopefully it won't be long before there is
news of good manufacture dates and/or serial #'s.

Craig

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
to this day (since i'm only part-time) i'm still not sure where the dollar cut-off is. but, as you probably already know, the main difference between a prp and a psp is that the prp allows for immediate replacement. you don't have to go through the "hassles" of a psp.

usually the prp is on the cheaper stuff, but, afaik, all the dvd players fall under a psp.

Users who are viewing this thread