Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

Pinocchio: Signature Collection Blu-ray Review

pinocchio2017top-1024x576.jpg

With its combination of an amusing and engrossing story, brilliant and sophisticated animation, and a song score brimming with melody and invention, Pinocchio is undoubtedly a Walt Disney masterpiece.

[review]
Read more.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Am I correct in assuming that for owners of the previous blu it is not worth upgrading?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Mine just shipped looking forward to seeing this on Blu . This is my favorite Disney animated feature and I missed the first release.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Am I correct in assuming that for owners of the previous blu it is not worth upgrading?
If you got a corrected version of the original Blu-ray release, no, I don't think the upgrade is necessary.
Hi, Matt. I have the original Blu Ray of PINOCCHIO, but I wasn't aware of a "Corrected Version." Please explain.

btw, the problem I had with the Blu-Ray of PINOCCHIO wasn't the "digital scrubbing" but the fact that the colors had been "brightened." All one has to do is compare the trailer on the Blu-Ray, which has the original "dark" color palette as originally designated by Walt Disney himself, and look at the same images on the film. Dark greens and reds are suddenly lime and day-glo scarlet, which really destroys the emotional resonance of the film. I'm assuming those altered colors are the same on this re-issue.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Same transfer with the corrected song line in the Jiminy Cricket

A few lost extras

The new Oswald extra

New Digital Copy

Is the audio commentary with Maltin, etc intact -- they don;t usually drop those ? I know it was part of the CIne-Explore extra before, but I thought it
was actually an audio track as well.

There was a report from a D23 Conference Forum or press release that a Women In Animation extra was supposed to (considered, maybe) be included. I'm assuming that didn't happen either on disc or in the Digital only extras?

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As per Matt's review, it appears to be the same transfer as the previous release.

This 1.33:1 1080p (AVC codec) transfer seems to be the same one utilized in the 2009 Blu-ray issue of the film. DNR has scrubbed away any trace of grain and left in a place or two evidence of a little busyness where things were digitally tempered. On the plus side, there isn’t a sign of age here with mind-numbing colors of vast richness and purity (reds may be a trifle hot) and not an artifact in sight: no dirt, no banding, no scratches.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Is the audio commentary with Maltin, etc intact -- they don;t usually drop those ? I know it was part of the CIne-Explore extra before, but I thought it
was actually an audio track as well.
The audio commentary was taken from the Cine-Explore audio track, and both are missing from this release. I guess they assume that nearly one hour long documentary is all that is needed.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The audio commentary was taken from the Cine-Explore audio track, and both are missing from this release. I guess they assume that nearly one hour long documentary is all that is needed.

Thanks and too bad -- I couldn't remember if it was a separate track or if the audio only and PIP version were linked. I doubt I would have sold my Platinum Edition anyway, but losing that audio commentary certainly seals it. Now the question is the Digital Copy and couple new extras worth another dip in the pool.

Actually not much of a decision since I think I have every Pinocchio back to the big Deluxe LD box, what's one more time. Probably either get it through DMC or maybe the BBY exclusive and use the new DMR $5 MQ.

I'll also take it that the rumored semi announced Women in Animation didn't make the cut

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
This film is regarded as the most technically advanced and greatest animated feature of all time. It is a shame they have scrubbed all the grain away. It does look beautiful, but we fear the colors have been modernized and not the original palette.

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
So, the Oswald cartoon is actually on the disc this time? With the signature Snow White release, the Oswald cartoon was only available via the digital copy.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Tell me that it finally has natural grain content and I will buy.

The first laserdisc CAV release is absolutely untouched and original. It has the Technicolor adjustment over the scenes in Gepetto's cottage at the beginning too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.