What's new

Pinnacle "Black Diamond's" & Pinnacle Baby Boomer Sub's?? (1 Viewer)

KevinAl

Auditioning
Does anyone have any feedback on the Pinnacle brand speakers? Specifically the "Black Diamond" series? Also, what are your thoughts on the Baby Boomer Sub's? I'm using the BD300 for Center, 2-BD1000's for Towers and 4-In Wall K8's for surround and rear. All powered by Harmon Kardon's AVR630 Receiver along with Monster's HTS3600 Power Center. WHAT ELSE AM I MISSING FROM THIS SET-UP? WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU ADD? I'm using a new Optoma H30 projector. HELP! This rookie needs some advice!!

Thanks,
Kevin

Jeff Herchenroder

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey
This my opinion of the Pinnacle Baby Boomer that I posted in Audio Review:

Strength:

This little sub is ridiculously powerful and has a low frequency cutoff of 23Hz!! That is insane for a 10" cube. An interesting design with its opposing drivers in bipolar configuration and no ports- an acoustic suspension enclosure, which is pretty unusual for a sub in my experience. Build quality is excellent. I have my Baby Boomer wired at speaker level, with the outputs going to my mains (PSB Imagine Mini's) to take advantage of the internal first order crossover. This configuration, which I have not used before in other setups, is useful for me in that there is less guesswork in trying to minimize overlapping mid-low frequencies at the crossover point to the mains that can cause undesirable emphasis on certain (usually irritating) bass notes. I can find no fault with it except (see below)

Weakness:
I wish that the volume control was less sensitive at the low end of the scale. An infinitesimal change of rotation brings the sub level from a bit too soft to WAY too loud! I would like more leeway to fine tune the adjustment without having to use a microscope. I can't possibly imagine anyone wanting to have the sub level at even a quarter of its range (which is in relation to the mains) unless the mains in question were very inefficient. A small criticism however, given my overwhelmingly positive experience with it.

This is what I didn't post- I picked up this $1000+ sub in excellent condition on eBay about a year ago for $150. free shipping! I love when things like that happen!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks