What's new

Pink Panther SEs? (1 Viewer)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I completely forgot about this series, but remembered when someone mentioned a "minkey" in a thread somewhere. These movies (or at least the first few) are great! It seems the current MGM editions are pretty crappy, so what about SEs? Anybody heard anything?
-Tom
------------------
There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Maybe they will release special Editions when Mike Myers makes the updated version of Pink Panther.
If it's popular, which I'm sure it will be, they might consider banking off its business.
------------------

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I too would purchase a SE set of this series. I love the Pink Panther movies!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I'd love a Box Set of these as a special edition. Just to tide me over, though, I picked up The Pink Panter itself on a Sam's Club MGM Bargains bin for $12.99 today. If an SE Box comes out, I'll give this one to a friend who loves 'em. :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I can't remember which is which, but I think two of the MGM ones are anamorphic and not too bad on the video transfer. However, Return of the Pink Panther is an Artisan release and it's video quality is very poor.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
You know, come to think of it. The only Pink Panther movie not out is Son of the Pink Panther
And it's a pretty bad one too
redface.gif

------------------

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
All the PP films need re-issuing with cleaned up prints, (The first was in 8 perf technirama and could look fantastic), a stereo remix using the orginal henry mancini stereo score materials would be fab, outtakes and deleted scenes. A commentary by blake edwards would be nice.
As for the Artisan Return of the Pink Panther, this is the worst looking DVD I have ever seen. Besides the fact it's non-anamorphic, it looks as if it's been copied from vhs, it has no detail and the colours look totally washed out - geoffery unsworth would spin in his grave if he saw it.
Given that Artisan can do excellent work when they want to, this should be redone as soon as possible.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that when I say I want a box set of SE's of the Pink Panther films, I am only talking about the first 5. The rest, after the 1980 death of Peter Sellers, aren't worth a fig. Here's all of them:
  • Pink Panther, The (1963)
  • Shot in the Dark, A (1964)
  • Return of the Pink Panther, The (1974)
  • Pink Panther Strikes Again, The (1976)
  • Revenge of the Pink Panther (1978)
  • Trail of the Pink Panther (1982)
  • Curse of the Pink Panther (1983)
  • Son of the Pink Panther (1993)
The 1982 TotPP used stock footage of the late Peter Sellers to put a framework around. The results were terrible.
The 1983 CotPP brought in Roger "007" Moore as the missing Inspecter Clouseau! It was another bad attempt fraught with danger, as series regular David Niven was near death (he passed away before the movie premiered, if I recall right) and could not speak. Imitatator Rich Little dubbed his lines!
A decade later, SotPP was the last (so far) attempt to bring back the series. It starred Roberto Benigni as Clouseau...who would later be remembered for his unique acceptance of his Oscar for his role in Life Is Beautiful. Good actor, but no Clouseau!
Nope, gotta be just the first five. I'm not worried about the others AT ALL! :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I always considered Ted Wass as the "Clouseau replacement" in Curse of the Pink Panther. If memory serves, Roger Moore appeared in a glorified cameo...
But I whole-heartedly agree that after the first five movies, this series began to stink worse than three dead rodents in July.
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks