What's new

Pink Panther Review (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Went to see the remake of The Pink Panther last night, thanks to a free pass I snagged from a local radio station. Frankly, I did not want to go, but a friend who had just had surgery did, and it was a nice way to treat her while she's relatively inactive.

How was it? In a word: derivative. There's absolutely nothing in this that hasn't been featured in dozens of ho-hum comedies over the last 30 years. Steve Martin, while using a terrible (though at times funny) French accent, essentially is doing the same over-the-top mugging and physical schtick that he did for the "Cheaper by the Dozen" movies. Nearly all of the gags require behavior so mindless and stupid as to snap willing suspension of disbelief.

The screenplay is credited to Martin, and if I were him, I'd be embarrassed. "shopgirl" proved that Martin can use silence and subtlety; TPP is essentially a tired, worn-out clown show without the greasepaint or funny noses. The movie is stuffed with set-ups and jokes that were old ten minutes after the first Chaplin film was shown.

There are a few funny moments, but this is no Naked Gun or Airplane!. Despite the lovely Emily Mortimer and nonchalantly charismatic Jean Reno, the film is dull and old. Put this in the category of completely unnecessary remakes. The best thing I can say about the movie is that it's short - barely 90 minutes, if even that.

Beyonce Knowles is in the movie, but she's strictly window dressing and only there to promote herself and shake it in skimpy outfits. And no, not even she makes it worth watching (it's that bad).

If you're really wanting to see this, wait until it hits second run theaters or is out on video.

(Careful readers will note I don't make any comparisons with the original movie; there are two main reasons I don't. First, I don't remember it well enough to do so. Second, this movie is terrible by any standards. Comparing it to the original only stinks up the joint more.)

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
Ugh. I expected as much. This movie just looks incredibly mediocre. The bad thing is, I have a friend who REALLY wants to see this, and I already promised her I would go. She had just gone through a 5 minute diatribe about how she never gets to go see films she's interested in seeing, so I've basically been guilted into seeing this film.

I am not looking forward to it, but at least I'll be able to come back here and post my own opinions. (Hey, I'm trying to find some semblance of a silver lining here.) :D

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Trailers weren't too promising...my kids REALLY want to see this though. I'm hopeful as I love Steve Martin.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
I too got dragged to this disaster of a movie...

Thankfully, the tickets were free!

Why, oh why can't Hollywood get it?

Even Blake Edwards failed at trying to catch lightning in a bottle twice. Peter Sellers WAS Inspector Clouseau. He was the character.... and it get's tiring to see actors try and act like Peter Sellers.... Arkin.... Wass... Benigni.... and now Martin....

This film was just horrible...

Dugger

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Out of curiosity, James, did your friend like it? This is a movie I just can't imagnie anyone liking. It's so bad and such a bundle of well-worn "jokes" that I seriously can't imagine someone over the age of 8 thinking it was funny, let alone truly enjoyable. My friend, who is generally more tolerant of movies than me, thought it was terrible as well.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
What a shame......I never expected much of this because what they don't get is there was only one Peter Sellers. I still believe if they followed the quality and type of movie that were the Panther films, and went on a world-wide search for someone, there could be another great Inspector out there, but when I heard Martin was cast, my hopes faded. Another dvd rental, I guess.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the opening act sets up Martin as Clouseau well enough, what can I say, I laughed at most of the gags, plus Emily Mortimer stole my heart as well in this film. But as it gets into the heart of the "detective" work, there's a big lull between the 2nd and 3rd act, but the 3rd act almost pulls it out for the most part (who knew Jean Reno had those moves?), but it could have been less uneven with a bit more writing in the middle of the film.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

I tried. I wanted to laugh. I just found them all so much in the category of "seen it 753 times before already" that I barely laughed. And as I said, too many of the jokes depended on people being unbelievably stupid.

I love the Airplane! movies, and the original Naked Gun. "Dumb," schtick-y humor can appeal to me. But something about this movie just defeated its own attempts at being funny.

IMNSHO, of course. YMMV, as Patrick proves.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
My biggest problem with this film is that the "Slapstick" is so telegraphed.

Nothing is funny when the set-up clearly shows you the gag before it happens.

Sellers and Edwards were fantastic at hiding the set up and therefore when the gag happened it did so in an innocent and unexpected way that it was funny.

The only scene that showed this set up well, was the scene where Martin asks his assistant to bring a bag to the big ball towards the end of the film.... all you know is that it is some sort of disguise.... when that is revealed, you don't expect it and it turns out to be very funny.

Dugger

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was disappointed they missed out on an opportunity to use the big globe gag one more time at the end.

Now, there is a funny cameo by someone who almost become part of the MI-6 franchise.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
I like Pink Panther. I like Steve Martin.

But I could not bring myself to go watch this movie. It just looks so wrong, so bad and soooooo not funny.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This movie was just so bad. I was extremely disappointed, and I say that having gone to the theater knowing it was not going to be very good! I just didn't know how bad it would be.

The plot was lousy, and Steve Martin is no Peter Sellers. What a waste of talent (kline and Reno).

That's my two cents.

-Rodney

Eric Carl

Stunt Coordinator

That's the best way to describe Reno.....

Er.....

Almost.

Jean Reno never seems charismatic to me. But the characters he plays don't have to be.

And that is what makes him a great actor. At least to me.

What I am trying to say is that's easier (IMO) to be over the top and overly dramatic in a role and what he does (again, IMO) is much harder.

Anyways, I haven't seen this movie or the original ones but I'll probably go to a "cheap" theatre in a couple of weeks to see this.

Even if its just because I like Reno.

James@R

Second Unit
Arkin will always be the definitive Clouseau, but this film is at least better than those tired Sellers attempts.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I didn't see the movie but I'm dissapointed they went politically correct with the "Cato" sidekick.

Side question: Does Jean Reno have a contract with all of Holloywood to appear in any American film that is set in France or has a French character in the cast? Did he underbid Gérard Depardieu for the contract? I really need to know this.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Unfortunately they do get it all too well. They make these movies and we are going out to see them and they make good money. Unfortunately, it is up to us to stop pumping money into these types of films and then Hollywood will stop making them, and that does not look like it is going to happen anytime soon.

Eric Carl

Stunt Coordinator

Maybe. But Jean doesn't usually go out and search for roles. The roles find him. Meaning, filmmakers look for him.

I think "The Crimson Rivers" was one of those odd cases where he wanted to work on the movie before he was approached.

For those wondering....Yes Reno was asked to do "The Matrix" and turned it down, because he wanted to spend time with his family. And, allegedly, was not in the "Fifth Element" because they wanted a more American look.

Aaaaaand now back to your thread.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I had the great dis-pleasure of seeing both "Pink Panther" and "Date Movie" on the very same night... my wife and I disliked "PP" so much that afterwards we snuck into see "DM" :)

I don't know which one was worse...it may take me a few days to come back to my senses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks