What's new

Pink Panther Film Collection 6-DVD (R2 Boxed Set) - WOW! (1 Viewer)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I think the cheapest place is:

http://www.dvdzone2.com/dvd/detail.asp?id=125985

It comes with a French cover though.

The only other advice would be to wait for a better dollar/euro exchange rate, though I hope it stays this way a while longer. :)

I think the bad exchange rate for Americans is also the "reason" for the high prices. Exchange rates fluctuate, but prices roughly stay the same in each zone. European dvd's may seem expensive for Americans right now, while we European importers get American dvd's much cheaper (25-30%) than 1-2 years ago.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
That's probably the most reasonable price I've seen yet. Works out to about $86 Canadian. I can live with the French packaging. As least it's not bi-lingual. Have to think about this for a bit.

Thanks

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Has anyone seen online reviews for either The Return of the Pink Panther or The Pink Panther Strikes Again? I have yet to pick up either of those two on DVD. I wonder if Artisan Entertainment plans to do a Ultimate Edition for The Return of the Pink Panther to coincide the release of the MGM set of DVD's next month?

Given Artisan's track record of releasing Terminator 2 & Dirty Dancing Ultimate Editions from their library I'm surprised to hear nothing from them yet on what they might do for Pink Panther titles they own?

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I did look there, but 53 pounds works out to about $127 Canadian before shipping, so it's a bit out of my range.

Thanks, though!

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
This site is a little cheaper:

http://www.devoteddvd.com.au/shop/pr...ducts_id=10524

Foreigners don't have to pay the 10% VAT, so 9.1% can be deducted from the listed price. Australia is R4, but I strongly suspect that the European and Australian releases are exactly identical, and (thus) both encoded for R2 and R4.

EDIT: The following (more expensive) Australian site is advertising the set with a bonus 7th disc - a CD with three tracks:

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/226482

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Deep Discount DVD has a version of the R1 box that comes with a CD soundtrack as well, but it's loaded with 20-some tracks from all the films. Price is about $10 more than the regular set.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Have posted in the other thread about how rare this is to find in the UK now. Tried before Christmas to get this but everywhere said sold out. Rumour I saw was they were just rushed over Christmas and more stock would be pressed in the New Year, but now April and none seems to have appeared.

Therefore it does seem to be a limited edition although my box is NOT numbered.

A couple of weeks ago got the last copy from e-tailer Choices Direct for GBP45, was sealed in mint condition so very happy. They now say withdrawn against the listing.

Amazon.co.uk claim ship in 24 hours for GBP53, but when I tried them earlier this year when they had it for GBP45 my order just sat saying waiting stock for weeks so I tried elsewhere. Most e-tailers now say sold out or no longer list it.

For those with money to burn HMV have this instore in their Central London stores for the full RRP of GBP60. This must be new stock they got from somewhere as they had none a few weeks ago. It is however not listed on their website.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I finally received my R2 French Panther box a couple weeks back.

I haven't had time to revisit the films just yet, but I'm extremely glad I imported this set instead of picking up the R1 box, entirely because of the extras (plus I think the packaging is cooler!).

The UNKNOWN PETER SELLARS documentary is an excellent overview of the man's career, and is loaded with great archival clips and interviews, although Shirley MacLaine once again proves what a friggin' nut she is with a pathetic story about how she could feel Peter's presence while she was entertaining guests just moments before a reporter called to tell her he'd died. Why people still care what this woman has to say is beyond me!

THAT'S PANTHERTAINMENT, while dated, is an enjoyable relic of its time, and features plenty of clips from the other films before REVENGE. Interestingly, its the presence of Steve Martin in this doc that makes me wonder if MGM didn't deliberately leave it off the R1 Box simply to keep attention away from his upcoming reinterpretation of the series. Call me skeptical, but there's really no serious reason this material couldn't be on the U.S. box (save perhaps the fleeting references to 1975's RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER)

THE COMMERCIAL PETER SELLARS consist of seven very cool, and very British TV commercials, PLUS a 4+ minute "making of" doc for the TWA commercials (of which there are three) that I wasn't even aware was on this set.

Finally, another nice bonus is the inclusion of a DePatie-Freleng INSPECTOR CLOUSEAU cartoon, THE GREAT DeGAULLE STONE OPERATION, which seems far more appropriate to the set than the ANT & THE AARDVARK cartoon included in the U.S. set. Again, was there some particular reason this was left out of the R1 release?

So there you have it, in my opinion four very persuasive reasons to get the R2 set if you still can. It costs a little more, but for true fans it's worth it and makes for a more well-rounded experience when it's taken as a whole.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
'Bout time they dropped the price. CD-WOW was one of the higher ones at first. This is the price I paid from DVDzone, almost to the penny. The French packaging's a small sacrifice, and in some ways is actually fitting for the series, and of course the subs (all 14 of them on the films, 6 each on the extras) are optional. You can also select menu language, including English, on each disc.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I was aware of that, but the combined price of the individual UNKNOWN SELLARS disc plus the Panther Box (using Deep Discount's prices, at least) works out to nearly the same price as the R2 Box with everything in, plus there's still two things you can't get anywhere else (although the substitute cartoon isn't much to write home about, just more appropriate to the set).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks