Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Live in Pompeii the Director's cut in Mar 2003

Discussion in 'DVD' started by oscar_merkx, Oct 25, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

according to http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
    We've got some GOOD news for you Pink Floyd fans. Roger Waters' manager, Mark Fenwick, had confirmed that Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii - The Director's Cut is being prepped for DVD release in March 2003. Not only that, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is going to be released on DVD-Audio on 3/3/03 in honor of its 30th anniversary! We're still waiting for an update on Pulse, so we'll let you know if we hear anything
    awesome

2. Chris James

Chris James Stunt Coordinator

Excellent! I really can't wait for Pulse!

3. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ChrisKe

ChrisKe Stunt Coordinator

I have the extended edition of Pompeii on VCD but does anyone know what the Directors Cut might contain?

5. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Dark Side of the Moon on DVD-a is a godsend!

6. Paul Boyle

Paul Boyle Stunt Coordinator

Great news & not before time!
    Just got the new Dave Gilmour - In Concert DVD which will be worn out before March [​IMG]

7. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

YES!
    The lack of Floyd material on DVD has been the only hole in my collection and these titles will be a welcome addition, as my Roger Waters' IN THE FLESH DVD has been in heavy rotation since its release.

8. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I sold my Pompeii LD when I first heard that this title will be released in 2003. I just hope that Delicate Sound Of Thunder and Pulse concerts are not to far behind. The Dark Side Of The Moon dvda release may inspire me to get an dvd audio player.

9. Curtis Lotter

Curtis Lotter Stunt Coordinator

My day has been made [​IMG]
    This is GREAT news! [​IMG]
    March seems a looong way off. tic tock, tic tock, tic tock....

10. Michael St. Clair

I considered selling my Pompeii LD many times, but it really isn't selling for that much, and I have no confidence that any new release will have a proper stereo track.

Regardless, this is great news.

11. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

Heck, I don't have a DVDa player and I would still get Dark Side to have the 5.1 track.

12. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Not a 5.1 track, unless it's in addition to the original quad mix by Alan Parsons. And only if a 5.1 mix doesn't further delay the release. The quad mix has existed for 30 years, they need only to remaster it and start pressing the discs.

13. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Perhaps they will give us the quad (which I'm sure needs restoring) and a 5.1 as well as a high rez stereo DVD-A. And hopefully DD 4.0 (Quad) DD 5.1 and a DTS 6.1! Why not it will all fit.

Wes

14. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    hmmmm, DSotM on DVD-A would be the "killer-app" that pushes me to get a DVD-A player [​IMG]
    are "ordinary" DD/5.1 (or DTS) tracks common, or part of the spec, of a DVD-A disc? if the DSotM DVD-A has DD or DTS5.1, I might just hold out a bit longer on a new DVD player, though.

15. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

All the DVD-A discs I have ever looked at over at Borders (the few they have), they all seem to have either a DD5.1 or DTS track, along with the hi-res track.

Yeah, I wouldn't have the hi-res track playback capability, but I bet a simple 5.1 track would still best my old Mobile Fidelity Gold CD.......

16. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Open the flood gates!
    DVD-A sales will soar.

I as well look forward to a killer release; with a 24/196 Hi-Rez stereo, 24/196 original Quad mix, & 24/196 [24/88, ok for surrounds & sub] 'believable' [lead vocals in the center channel would be a good way to start] soundstage 5.1 mix.

Would all that fit?

Do you believe in miracles?

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

18. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

In case anyone missed it, HVE is readying Barbet Schroeder's La Vallee for February, featuring a great Floyd soundtrack.

19. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Re that link from Oscar - who is "Pink Floyd" in this case? Dave Gilmour I guess given he has rights to the name (correct?). Then again, Roger Waters was really the leading light on DSotM AFIK.

N

20. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

David Gilmour does not have rights to the name, no single member of the band does. The name belongs to the whole band, and Roger Waters officially quit the band, and that is why he couldn't stop the others from continuing without him. However he still has an ownership stake in all of the music produced by the band before he left. He can be directly involved in preparing a 5.1 mix of DSOTM if he wants, but I doubt he will. All that is needed from him is to first agree to start the work and then to approve it once it's finished.

The same goes for Gilmour. He is more likely to want to be involved (apparently he is personally mixing Pulse in 5.1 for the DVD at his home) but he too can just let an engineer he trusts -- probably James Guthrie -- do the work and then approve the finished result. I don't think either Gilmour or Waters were involved in the Echoes compilation other than haggling over which songs to include and in which sequence, and then haggling over the name, all of which were probably done by fax.