What's new

Pink Floyd's 'Animals' SACD (2 Viewers)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

I'm not sure why but I would guess it was because DSOTM had a vast number of tracks and Guthrie did not have one of the newer DSD editing stations that would easily allow for the tracks to be combined.

The stereo layer was analog to DSD with no PCM.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

In which case, is there an audible difference in SQ between the two? I have tin-ears and a modest set-up, so I'm not even going to try, but I'd be interested to hear (pun intended) what the experts think.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Re comparing PCM master-derived DVD-A to SACD...

Just as soon as I can pry "Medulla" from my stereo (certainly by the weekend!), I'm gonna do a comparison between the two-channel tracks from the "Vespertine" DVD-A and the "Vespertine" SACD. I can only do hi-res comparisons in two-channel, as I don't have two six-channel analog-ins or a six-channel switcher. On the one hand, a shame as I'd be interested to know if the surround mixes differ at all, but on the other I find it much easier to compare sound quality (instrument/voice timbre, soundstage, separation and imaging) in two-channel.

I'm really interested in the results, as it's my understanding that the master for "Vespertine" is digital PCM (correct?). As many have compellingly argued in this forum, the DVD-A should be the better version as it doesn't require a PCM->DSD conversion like the SACD.

This is the first time I've been able to do such a comparison, and I'm very excited about it... though not quite as excited as taking another listen to "Medulla"! ;)

Brian Cal

Stunt Coordinator

Nice one!!! Wonder how many people picked up on this? ;)

Definitely gonna have to spring for that SACD player now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks