What's new

Pink Floyd The Wall (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I wonder if anyone else has a similar preference?
While I don't own the DVD, I do own the spectacular LaserDisc, and I have the same preference -- the PCM track over the DD track (but I almost always prefer the PCM with any LD).
Can anyone tell me if the few isolated "pops" that are present on the PCM track (but not the DD track) have been corrected on the DVD? There's one right at the first bass note at that transition from the maid cleaning to the crowd at the stadium, and a couple more, again on strong bass notes, as the camera tilts up to the "Feelin' 7UP" sign later in the same song. When I first got the disc I was positive that I had done some grevious damage to my speakers, or that the signal from the LD player was overloading the amp on its way in, but new speakers, new amp, new preamp and checking out the disc at other people's houses showed me that it was actually on the track.
And no, I didn't replace all of that stuff because of the disc. :)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I am surprised no one has mentioned the annoying hiss on The Wall, especially during about the first third of the movie. Bothersome, and I agree with another poster who said the bass is not right. Nonetheless, a must have for PF fans.

Duane M Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Duane Davis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish they would release Roger Waters The Wall Live in Berlin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you're talkin...

You are aware it comes out this Tuesday, June 24, 2003?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I am surprised no one has mentioned the annoying hiss on The Wall
I'm not quite sure whether this is inherent to the masters, but if so, then removing it via No-Noise or some other gating would cause much worse audio problems. These days, I usually consider a little bit of hiss in older recordings to be a good thing, as it's usually evidence of a non-mussed with transfer. It doesn't bother me in the slightest with "The Wall" DVD. Also, I don't recall the pops Aaron has on his LD.

BTW, Roger Waters "The Wall-Live In Berlin" is also coming out on SACD next month... not my favorite performance though, and I doubt I'll be picking this one up.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Also, I don't recall the pops Aaron has on his LD.
Yeah, I dimly recall there being a recall of the LD with no repressing (it was at the tail-end of the LaserDisc era) and some talk of the pops not being audible on the later DVD.
Good news about The Wall Live in Berlin. How can you live without Thomas Dolby as the schoolmaster? :D I only ever heard the CD -- how was the video?
I agree about hiss being a somewhat good sign. The Star Wars THX LD (Unspecial Edition) has virtually no hiss, and sounds flat and muted. I'd much rather have the hiss and clean, clear highs than no hiss and bleah sound.

Ken Kasemsant

Auditioning
For live in berlin, I already got zone 4 dvd. It was released last month. I've no idea about schedule for zone1 though.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Opinions on the Live in Berlin would really be appreciated.

Not sure whether this or "In the Flesh" are must buys yet.

Although I'm not fond of raising the dead, this thread (to me) is the exception. I went back and watched all the special features on The Wall, as (unbelievably) I had never viewed these before.

I found a lot of the scenes where Roger was quiet certainly said more than when he talked. It's compelling and in many ways sad to see how closely this film reflects on the inner most thoughts of Roger Waters.

Ken Kasemsant

Auditioning
I only sampled here and there in this dvd (zone4, live in berlin), picture is only in fullscreen and a little soft. Sound quality is good in DD5.1 but In the Flesh is much better in my oppinion. Anyway, I'm glad to have this to replace my old VHS which look horrible now :)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The hiss is more pronounced on the DD 5.1 track.

The PCM track played through DPL II music mode kept most of the directionality of the "sfx" sound of the DD track,but channel separation remained better on the DD track not surprisingly. The actual music quality were a "toss up" IMO.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
However, the center channel was very problematic in my system, causing the front sound stage to collapse to the middle too much for my tastes.
That has been my experience whenever trying to use Pro Logic for non-encoded music.

Howard Ferstler (The Sensible Sound) would always use Pro Logic when reviewing new software (in addition to straight 2 CH), but in his reviews he almost always commented that he would lower the center channel a few dB to decrease its dominance of the front sound stage.

Wonder how the 2CH PCM mix would sound in Pro Logic II?

BTW, I was pretty ambivalent about the Wall Live in Berlin coming to SACD; I was planning to sit on my hands until the "real" Wall comes to Hi-Rez multichannel.

But, if Thomas Dolby is on there, I may need to bite. It should tied my over until the real deal arrives (hopefully).

BGL

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I feel that the PCM track in Pro-Logic (don't have PLII so I can't comment) is superior to the 5.1 track. Both tracks are very nice remixes done for home theater.

On the other hand, if you're a purist who wants a sonic experience as close as possible to the 4.1 magnetic theatrical mix, which was nearly all front soundstage with surrounds used sparingly for sound effects, your only option is the Dolby Digital laserdisc. It's also the only way to hear an Alan Parker audio commentary.

-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks