What's new

Pink Floyd said to reunite for Live 8....Really! (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
On AOL, The Who is performing right now and Pink Floyd will be up next. Make sure you wait while the stage is being set up because there isn't an introduction for Pink Floyd.

~T

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

For them, I would have to say its IM-FREAKIN-POSSIBLE.

There was some speculation I read that there was something in their contract that precluded them showing any performances in their entirety.

Judging from the 8 hours of horse crap I Tivo'd through, I would say their may be some validity to that.

There really can be no other explanation for it, in particular cutting in to Floyd. No one can be that stupid. Even MTV. There had to be a reason other than some moron thinking it was a good idea.

I can only pray that someday there will be a DVD of the performances, without the butchering.

I would pay real money to see Floyd from the moment the lights dim and they took the stage, to the moment they walked off after taking their well deserved bows.

Brian

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I do appreciate the effort Ryan, but the audio seems a bit weird...sounds like the whole thing is run through a tremolo box.

I downloaded the file, and it plays the same way from my harddrive, so I am guessing its just encoded that way.

But on balance, that is prefefrable to the a-holes at MTV yacking away:D

Brian

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I really don't understand why MTV and VH1 were playing the exact same thing. If you are going to have two channels showing stuff for six different venues, there is no excuse for this.

Good thing is, I have XM, so I didn't miss much.

Jason

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Guess i was relatively lucky, the coverage we got here wasn't too bad. They sometimes cut in and out of smaller venues with "lesser" artistes performing, but they just about played everything the "big guns" dished out, in particular the all-important Pink Floyd segment.

I rather liked what Roger Waters said about being on stage again with "these 3 guys, after all this time". Unfortunately for us, our show cut away from London once Comfortably Numb had ended, so I didn't see the "group hug" at the end. But that pic in Tony-B's sig says it all, really :emoji_thumbsup:

Here's hoping that they realise they don't hate each other as much as they thought they did, and they'll do something new jointly.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

It’s a sin
Suburbia
Opportunities
Domino dancing
New York City boy
Always on my mind
Where the streets have no name (I can’t take my eyes of you)
West End girls
Left to my own devices
Go West

Every single song a top 20 hit in the UK and at least two number ones, so why the **** weren't PSB at the Hyde Park gig? Instead, we Brits had to endure several bands whom most people have never heard of (e.g. Velvet Revolver - they might be huge elsewhere but not in the UK). It figures.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The Times (the London Times - is there any other? ;) ) said today that DVDs of Live8 are coming out in November. I hope they do a separate set for each country - I can't claim I was overjoyed by the American portion of the show.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Wow, that's a lot of songs they performed! If there will be footage of the Russian concert available, I suppose it's better they performed there with that many songs rather than somewhere else and only perform 2 or 3.

~T

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Another Yankee here, and yeah I will most likely buy the London show and not the U.S. show.

Glad (or rather, sad) to read that all of you had the same furious reaction I had to MTV/VH1s atrocious (and that's being kind) slaughtering of music.

It actually struck me that they did music more of a DISSERVICE than anything. They have truly earned the nickname: eMpTyV.

Can't wait for the discs.

I wish there was some way to voice our displeasure to eMpTyV, but I doubt they'd listen or care...

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first hour of what I taped and saw about twelve minutes of music...and EVERY song was either a) talked over, b) edited, or c) cut into/way from. I am shooting off emails to both VH1.com and MTV.com...

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle

Don't watch the network. If everyone quits watching, they'll listen. An email barrage might help, but I doubt it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The problem is, neither network gears themselves toward anyone over 14 anymore. The type of people who watched Live 8 are, for the most part, not MTV's primary audience.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Sorry if anyone thought it was an anti-American statement, it definitely wasn't. However, I've got to ask why the Philly bill was packed with lacklustre bland acts interspersed with (c)rap. This was meant to be a concert with mass appeal. You get that by bringing on board pop acts or acts with crossover appeal. The bland AOR will have alienated anyone under twenty (or anyone over twenty with any musical taste, for that matter) and rap is a love it or hate it thing, with the 'hate it' camp in the majority (has there ever been a popular musical form that polarised opinion more than rap?). Whilst having my little rant, did anyone else think that most of the Philly acts looked as if they were phoning in their performances?

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
You can go thru the Live 8 website and get directed to AOL music and see all the individual band clips. Try this address: http://music.channel.aol.com/live_8_...ly_toronto.adp

Man, I got chills watching "Comfortably Numb"! Awesome. And, for what it's worth, I had a dream Saturday night that I was playing golf with Roger Waters and David Gilmour. Don't know who won, but I could have sworn I heard Roger start to say, "One of these days..."

Oh yeah, The Who sounded absolutely great, too (for their one song). Roger and Pete still have a lot of power on stage. It killed me that they kept cutting away from Pete every time he started to windmill, though. A little more static to the camera please!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks