Pink Floyd - Reflections And Echoes (2-discs plus book) 27th Feb?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Pink Floyd - Reflections And Echoes, a 2-disc set with book?

What is this?

2. andrew markworthy

I don't know - but if it's like PF's history with the release of Pulse, expect the actual release to be some time about five years after the announced date. [​IMG]

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Now, now - don't be cynical! 'Tis the Season to Jolly! [​IMG]

Hopefully, it is loads of archive concert footage, archive interviews and present-day interviews, etc.

4. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

There is actually a short film which was made with all 20 mins of ECHOES as its soundtrack-never seen it.
    Ive seen it listed but know nothing more about it

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

That sounds cool, Mark.

My Meddle CD died this year; a bad scratch 'mysteriously' appeared. It wasn't me, that's for sure. 'Echoes' is an extraordinary piece of music.

6. Manus

Manus Second Unit

7. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Nice one, Manus! [​IMG]

8. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

>>'Echoes' is an extraordinary piece of music.

---I remember buying my first EMI HARVEST (UK) LP of it;

The US version on Capitol was a sad affair: they botched the cover graphics into an unrecognisable mess, and panicked that the consumer might be confused by a record with no titles on it, so they added "Pink Floyd Meddle" to the front, The sound was horrible;

I remember the gatefold sleeve of the UK LP-with such very richly colored inks and the textured paper, and the only wording on it was the back upper right corner: SHVL 795 Catalog number in small font.

And it was only then that I noticed when you opend up the cover it was a photo of an ear with ripples superimposed
    the sound was sooo much more detailed, with a lower noise floor.
    Same with ATOM HEART MOTHER UK...

9. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I wasn't aware that the U.S. pressing was so poor, Mark; that must have been a bummer.

I haven't seen an original UK gatefold of the album, but most UK gatefolds from that period were of exceptional quality.

I am surprised that none of the Floyd's other albums have not been remastered for SACD, like the excellent Dark Side hybrids. Knowing my luck, I'd go out today to pick up another copy of Meddle and in January, a SACD-hybrid would be announced!

10. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Gordon

almost all US pressings were done on Tupperware, with poor sound quality and with very generic paper-over-folded cardboard with graphics THAT MADE SURE YOU KNEW WHO THE ALBUM WAS BY, and who manufactured it. simply put: PRODUCT. UNITS. SALES NUMBERS.

UK pressings and covers almost seemed handmade, in small batches by comparison;
    Many UK GF covers were a complete scene of a subject, from end to end, which could only be totally viewed by laying it flat, wide open, many times with few, none or very small graphics ie: title, company, cat # etc that could only be read with a magnifiying glass ;-)
    Much of the music was too uncommercail, or esoteric for most US consumer tastes.

Many times the US companies would change a cover becasue they felt the consumer was too dumb, or would be offended by its subject matter: Past Present & Future, Electric Ladyland, Blind Faith, amongst others.

I actually have quite a stack of rare UK LPs (prog, underground, acid, folk, from Harvest, Virgin, Island, and many smaller subsidiary labels from the 1970-1975- period-some worth hundreds of £/$...) all before they either hit it big and went mainstream, or dissolved into oblivion...

11. andrew markworthy

This alas only applied to the first batch of most albums. In many cases, these were done in a more expensive printing process and then once the album was in the charts, subsequent issues had sleeves done by a cheaper process. A case in point is the Led Zeppelin IV album (the one with Stairway to Heaven). On the original printing you can see way more detail, and this is utterly lost on subsequent printings.

The same applied to vinyl. For the uninitiated - there are various qualities of vinyl. Generally, early copies of an album were pressed on better quality stuff (you can generally tell this by the weight and flexibility - the heavier and stiffer the better). Later pressings were often of much lower quality, and could often practically be seen through. This is one of the reasons why vinyl collectors will pay such high prices for a first pressing of an album. Incidentally, pressings of rock albums on very top quality vinyl were rare - only prestige classical music recordings got this honour.