What's new

Pink Floyd MFSL Beta ? (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I've seen PCM VHS VCRs (regular VCRs that have an audio-only PCM mode), so this doesn't surprise me too much. Never seen a beta PCM VCR though.

The 1979 date I am skeptical about. This tape is probably from the mid 1980s. Perhaps DSoTM was licensed to MoFi for magnetic tape (reel to reel, half-speed cassette) in 1979 and they used that license to produce this tape.

A real collectors item.

DAT basically destroyed the 'PCM VHS' market.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Update, from Link Removed
In 1983, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab experimented with producing Digital Audio Tapes. The second Digital Audio Tape offered by MFSL was Dark Side of the Moon.
Playback: These Digital Audio Tapes were designed to be played in PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) tape decks. Although the tapes were housed in either VHS or beta videotape cases, they could only be played through these self-contained PCM record / playback DAC decks, or using a special processor that could be hooked to a VCR.
Production Run: These tapes were made by hand only when an order was received for them. Less than a 100 of each were produced.
These would be the first digital-audio release of any Pink Floyd material.
I wonder how many didn't get thrown out or dropped off at a thrift store with a bunch of old movie tapes.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
My Beta VCR has a jack on the back for a PCM adaptor, never actually seen one though. I did see a picture a long time ago in a magazine (early 80's) of a digital audio tape machine that used VHS cassettes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks