What's new

Pink Floyd "Live in Pompeii" dvd (1 Viewer)

JoeJohnson

Auditioning
If you’re a Floyd fan, then you know that the best way to experience their music is with both audio and visual. That’s why this new dvd, “Live in Pompeii” is a must have. If you already own and love the video version like I do, you’ll be blown away by the dvd. It has both the original version (in pan scan, minus the interviews) and a new director’s cut (widescreen, with added interviews) as well. The visuals in this video are just amazing. The ancient amphitheater among the ruins of Old Pompeii is awesome and a great place for the band to play. There is a great mosaic shot of Nick Mason that is pretty trippy. The director’s cut has footage from the band’s recording of Dark Side, and some great interviews with the guys. This is definitely a must have for anyone’s Floyd collection.

Juan L

Agent
Real Name
Juan Leon
Any plans for any further Floyd DVD-V, DVD-A, or SA-CD releases?

Juan

cwhite

Second Unit
I'm still waiting for the "Delicate Sound of Thunder" to make it on DVD, but I bet there's little chance we'll see that before any PF SACDs are released.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I am in awe of the "Dark Side" rough takes...

... just knowing what will come of such creative genius after the fact.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Also interesting to hear them talk vaguely and/or evasively about how they all get along with each other.

The Nick Mason mosaic stuff during "One of These Days" is trippy but I do wish there were some shots of the others who are doing far more interesting things with their instruments during that song.

There's some weird easter egg type stuff in the menus. One of them flashes a double mirror image of the dog and then throws me back to the menu in a different language. I don't think it's my DVD player because the DVD software in my PC does the same thing.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
All in all, I found this DVD disappointing. Why not just release it OAR. They merely blew it up to make it widescreen, cutting off a substantial amount of the original shots. At least the original concert footage is there. Disappointed that we didn't get DTS or DD mix.
There is some interesting B&W footage added, but according to PF fan sites, the film's director, Adrian Maben (sp?), had tons of other footage not used in the original movie, but lost it. Geez! Much more satisfying is the Classic Albums Dark Side of the Moon disc. Outstanding!!

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Gary

Pulse when? wasn't it supposed to be last October when Storm had a stroke and it was delayed

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Just to be clear, the original version is not pan and scan, that is the correct ratio. The "director's cut" crops that image as Mark mentioned. I have the laserdisc version which is in its correct ratio and includes the interview footage. I am in no hurry to buy the DVD.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I like the laserdisc better. No cropping, but the full-length version minus crappy new CGI.

And it's not just bad CGI. It is bad CGI that disrupts great shots, like the wonderful establishing crane shot at the beginning of the film.

JordanS

Second Unit
For the record, none of the members of Pink Floyd had anything to do with the release of this DVD....

I haven't seen it myself; I hear it's lackluster at best.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I think it's a good DVD, not as good as the Dark Side disc perhaps but for Floyd fans it's definitely a worthy addition. I had never seen Live in Pompeii previously so I liked both cuts included here.

For me one of the most interesting things about this DVD was the way the group was presented and how they talked about themselves, "The Pink Floyd" as they were pre-Dark Side's release. They had been recording for years with no big success and they looked weary. Their attitudes were generally along the lines of 'well we're us and always have been us and if people don't like it tough'. It's almost enlightening to see this group of 4 guys right before they were about to blow up in a HUGE way with Dark Side of the Moon. For that fact alone I think this is an important documentation of a group on the very cusp of their immense breakthrough.

And then there's the way the movie humbly presents the recording of Dark Side at Abbey Road. Roger messing with a primitive synthesizer attempting to make the sounds we are all-too familiar with now. At the time it was simply the Floyd's next album but it turned out to be so much more, basically revolutionizing rock'n roll. With one album they went from The Pink Floyd, a veteran prog band to Pink Floyd the rock gods. The DVD shows a lot of the before and none of the after because the after was still being worked on and luckily somebody was smart enough to capture it. Amazing stuff.

No idea when, just commenting on the fact that you will see Pulse before you will ever seen Delicate Sound of Thunder.

Hopefully 2004 will be the year, I quite enjoy Pulse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks