Pink Floyd Echoes Question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Has anybody noticed that at the start of Wish You Were Here that their are two instances that seem that it shouldn't be there.It almost seems that someone "clears their throat" and "coughs" as well?

2. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Well, on the "Wish You Were Here" CD, the throat-clear, sniff, and breath are there. Those sounds were left in intentionally, I'd imagine, as the Floyd were very meticulous about their recordings.

It's just artistic licence at play.

-JNS

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

It's definitely intentional. And if you listen closely, you can hear David Gilmour touching the strings on his guitar just before he plays the first note.

And at the very very end of "Welcome to the Machine", after the crowd noise dies down you can hear what sounds like a ball bouncing in a racquetball court followed by a short chuckle.

4. andrew markworthy

I think the intention is to imitate a guy walking into a room where a radio is on and playing along with the music, which then leads into the song itself (a bit like one of those film musicals where a guy playing a single instrument and singing along is inexplicably suddenly accompanied by an entire orchestra). This is probably totally wrong - it's a while since I listened to WYWH.

5. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

6. andrew markworthy

I was thinking a bit more about this last night (yes, I am a sad person). You hear a couple of older people talking just before the section we've been discussing, and from memory, I think it goes something like:

man: discipline remains, mercifully

woman: yes, now Derek [?] would you rate[?] this pop star nonsense? which channel is it?

man: I'm not sure

Sound of radio dial tuning, quick excerpt from final movement of Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 4, then the sound of a guitar playing.

All of this sounds like it is on a cheap transistor radio with pretty poor reception. Are the older couple meant to be on a radio programme (it's the sort of conversation which wouldn't have been all that unusual on one of the more 'serious' BBC radio stations at the time the album was made)? So are they on the radio programme trying to find another radio programme? This too would fit in with the worlds within worlds idea of the album.

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I think it's just one person tuning the radio, the people on the radio aren't themselves listening to the radio.

The radio static and AM carrier wave noise (you can hear this especially as "Have a Cigar" continues to play on the radio) came from the radio in David Gilmour's car parked outside Abbey Road.