Pink Floyd "DSOTM" MFSL vs Hybrid SACD

KeithHU

Auditioning
Hi: I have the remastered version of Dark Side of the Moon and was wondering if there is much of a difference between the MFSL version and the Hybrid SACD version, stereo layer of course? I am concerned with the sound quality on either one! Anyone here heard both and would like to give a sound quality (1-10) on each one? I realize that everyone hears differently and equipment affects sound quality, but generally speaking! Thanks, Huck

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have not listened in quite a while but I have the MoFi gold CD and when I did listening comparisons there was no comparison. I easily preferred the SACD.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I to have the Mobile Fidelity CD and the SACD as well. While the MF CD is good its not as good as the SACD IMHO. There is no comparison the SACD is much better hands down.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
In terms of the CD layer however I'm giving the win to the MFSL namely due to "Money" not being hyper compressed like it is on the CD layer on the SACD Hybrid.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I have listened to both more than I care to admit and I think the SACD smokes it. It's just more open and transparent and I believe they used better master tapes this time around as well. There is an interview with James Guthrie on High Fidelity Review where he discusses this I believe.

KeithHU

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replies! Goes to show you that everyone hears something different! I have the Hybrid SACD coming, so I hope to hear if it's better than the remastered version. I read that review, also interesting! Thanks, Huck

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muskantdramu