What's new

Pink Floyd: DSOTM Classic Albums dvd (1 Viewer)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
This indeed is an excellent DVD. I wouldn't say PF reunites to assist with the production--each is interviewed independent of the others. Still, it gave me chills to hear the demo tapes, see Rog sing an acoustic version of Brain Damage, watch Dave demonstrate notes on his slide guitar--and that CONCERT FOOTAGE! Even us Floyd Freaks didn't know there was actually vintage concert footage pre-release of DSOTM.

I wish they would have talked about the Quad version of the album. Not a mention is made, other than Alan Parsons talking about how he was hired to make a quad recording of the clocks that open Time.

The biggest positive from this: Roger complimented Rick Wright's work on Great Gig and Us and Them. That's the first nice thing Rog has said about Rick in about 25 years.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I was pleased with the documentary and the bonus footage must be viewed! But I was dissapointed that there wasn't any real footage of the band playing DSOTM live. I would love an offical release of Roger's demos and live rehearsals.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I got this DVD on Monday and watched it immediately. Wow, what a great purchase and excellent job on the production! Although it is somewhat short, I feel that it really delves into DSOTM in a way that I have never seen before. And I thought I knew this album so well. Boy, was I wrong! There is stuff hidden in the mix that I've probably perceived a million times before, but never actually "heard".:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Roger complimented Rick Wright's work on Great Gig and Us and Them. That's the first nice thing Rog has said about Rick in about 25 years.
Hopefully this DVD will serve as a kind of icebreaker between the band so that maybe they might actually contemplate talking to each other and who knows, a real Floyd reunion one day? Hopefully. Personally I'm curious to see what might happen first; a Floyd reunion or an ABBA reunion because even though they're two entirely different groups and forms of music, both are stubborn as hell when it comes to getting back together for any purposes, besides perhaps individually taped segments.

Btw I loved the segment about the various chatter on the album. Very interesting about the questions asked of the people and such, "When was the last time you were violent?" and "Were you in the right?"("I certainly was in the right.") . David Gilmore touched upon it briefly in his mentioning of Wings being around their studio so Floyd used some of the band member's chatter. What he didn't mention in the DVD that I had read somewhere recently(Rolling Stone I think) was that Paul McCartney was also recorded for the chatter, but they didn't use Paul's dialogue session because apparently Floyd felt his answers were too staged or acted, whereas the dialogue from other people felt more natural.

Oh and also something I didn't know: Waters is a Neil Young fan. :emoji_thumbsup:

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Gary I think the word used to describe Paul and Linda McCartney's answers to the Floyd's questions was "reserved". They had been interviewed by the press enough times that their choice of words was too reserved to be useful.

I think it was great to hear Waters and Wright compliment each other on Us & Them.

The best parts are when Gilmour or Parsons sit down at the mixing board and solo specific instruments. I also liked seeing how "On the Run" was constructed.

I would have liked to hear Claire Torry and Dick Parry talk about their contribution to the album.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
This release has made me want to explore other selections in the Classic Albums series. I've seen the Dead episode on PBS. How do the other stack up? I was thinking of getting The Who and the Iron Maiden discs next.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
The best parts are when Gilmour or Parsons sit down at the mixing board and solo specific instruments. I also liked seeing how "On the Run" was constructed.
I agree!:emoji_thumbsup: I thought it was just the coolest thing to hear how all of the instrument were layered on top of one another. Absolutely brillant. AFAIC, the whole DVD is the best part!!!:D

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm fascinated at how many times people are milked for multiple releases of this album.
I've been MILKED!
And love it!!!:b :b :b
Milk me again, milk me again, and again!!!;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
What this release does is open up a WHOLE NEW WORLD, for a release, we all thought we knew & loved.
NOW, I know DSotM!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I would be "milked" for fifteen bucks just for a DVD of ONE of the songs they play solo in the studio!
I would have been PROUD to have been "milked" for twenty five bucks for just a DVD with the special features, ALONE!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
OH YEAH, this is a rip off:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
All fans, should be so lucky too GET "MILKED", with a DVD of this quality & quantity of there all time favorite album! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Great preview for LaP!!!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

And also a fantastic reminder of the visuals the band played with the tour that backed DSotM.
"MILKED"???
"RIGHT"!!!
:star: :star: :star: :star:

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Those visuals would have been even better if they were presented in their entirety, properly synchronized to the music, and OAR "circleboxed"!

H

Hank

I watched this last night. Awesome footage of the boys back than. I always wanted to know about the voices through out DSOTM. I haven't got to the bonus material yet, probably after work. Now I want more Floyd on SACD or DVD-A.:D

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
One of the impressions I get from the DVD and by conducting a web search is that Clare Torrey is an enigma.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
This DVD is the perfect companion piece to the DSOTM SACD. My wife actually called when she was out getting TTT and Animal House, asking if I wanted this DVD. What a woman!!!:D

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I think that's what I read at one site but yet they couldn't provide the photographic evidence. Someone presented a photo of his backup singers and none of them looked like Clare Torrey.

The DVD only had one, not so good photo of her. Then I tried looking her up on the web to find photos and nothing. And from the March 2003 issue of Rolling Stone, Waters said, "Years later, I moved house, and she lived just round the corner. I used to run into her all the time, walking her dog."

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
If I recall correctly, Clare Torrey was one of the backup singers used by the re-formed (Waterless?) Pink Floyd in the late 1980s, when they were on the Knebworth bill. This concert was televised on MTV and I taped it. I have the tape somewhere, but I'm pretty sure Clare was one of the backup singers that day.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
A couple of comments:

1) The DSOTM disc is 16:9 enhanced, despite some reports online.

2) Pompeii will not be 5.1...no multitracks available. The good news is that they can't screw up the mix.

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like a winner..

so based on sony's bias towards SACD... we cannot look forward to a DVD-A release of any Pink Floyd?? :thumbsdown: :frowning:

Guess I need to upgrade to a universal player.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
so based on sony's bias towards SACD... we cannot look forward to a DVD-A release of any Pink Floyd??
Actually, EMI just formed a partnership with DTS to release DVD-A discs, including 'key artists'.

I'll be very surprised if we don't see any Pink Floyd on DVD-A.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks