What's new

pincushion and rainbows? (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Ok, I've had my TV for about a year and a half...it's a 52" RCA D52130

already, it has pincushion distortion (a line placed near the top curves high-low-high, and near the bottom, low-high-low). It's kind of noticeable during the larger widescreen movies (1.85.1 I think), but not during the thinner ones (2.35.1 I think)... during 4:3 TV viewing, it is noticeable when the camera pans up/down

Is there any way to fix this (is is because the screen is not totally fixed or something?) or am I stuck with it?

Also, I don't know what it is called, but I am getting an outline around objects... it's usually a red outline for objects on the left side, and blue for hte right.... I know it has something to do with the Cathode Ray Tubes, but no idea what.... What is this called? and is there any way to correct this, or again, am I stuck with it...

Also, should a TV this 'young' be doing that?

Thanks in advance for any help

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like the convergence of the 3 CRT tubes (red, green, and blue) are off. It should be fixable, provided you know how to get into the RCA's service menu to adjust the convergence.

My 40" Toshiba RPTV needs its convergence redone. I ignored the creeping misconvergence for the last 6 months. It will always drift.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
provided you know how to get into the RCA's service menu to adjust the convergence.
I posted about this in the basics area... I didn't know if it was the standard menu, or a special 'tech' menu... is there like a special keycombo you put in?

Is there a website of somesort that would tell me how to get into the service menu...
I don't want to go messing around with anythnig too big, as I'm not quite sure I know what I'm doing...If I were to change anything, would it void my warranty or anything to the like?

Also, anyone have any input on my pincusion problem?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Yep, it is normal for all CRT projection tvs for the convergence to drift. Some brands and models are worse than others. Overheating could cause the convergence board to fail, or just make everything drift. On my Toshiba RPTV, the blue gun tends to drift the most. I usually have to touch it up once a month, although lately I haven't been giving a damn. :D

To adjust convergence you would need access to the special service menu of your tv. I have no idea how to do it on an RCA. Normally I'd refer you to Keohi's site, http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/ , but it seems to be down. Is there an alternate address? I haven't been there in a long time.

Your pincushion problem is probably related to the convergence drift. It should be adjustable in the service menu, although I'd be worried if it starts to drift on its own. Hopefully your problem has always been present, and you just noticed it now.

Theoretically, making changes in the service menu would void your warranty. The idea is to never tell the repair guy that you ever accessed it. Deny all knowledge! Never mention any tweaks you made to your set. With that said, always ALWAYS write down all service menu values before changing anything. Be super careful with your remote, hitting the wrong key could mess up your tv.

Making adjustments in the service menu may sound scary, but it is fairly straighforward. Just take the proper precautions and you'd be fine. Patience is the key.

If you find out how to make the adjustments, and you find the geometry still screws up, I'd consider getting the tv taken in for repair work. Maybe your convergence circuit board is shot! But first, I'd rule out heating problems first. Is there ample room around the TV for ventilation?

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Is there ample room around the TV for ventilation?
If you take a look at the first picture on the website in my signature, I beleive there should be enough room...

I have the media cabinet on the right side, and a very shallow bookshelf on the left... in behind the TV there is about 6" of clearance from the back of the TV to the wall. I think that should be enough... I don't think ventilation is a problem, but if it is, what can I do to fix this?

Thanks for all your help

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
No problem! Nice setup you got there too. It's nice to get free stuff. :)

Your tv arrangement is typical...I don't see anything that would cause major heat problems if the TV is designed well. However, I find that CRT RPTVs could have been done better. Many owners complain of excessive convergence drift because of poor soldering, too much heat buildup within the set because of poor design (which also messes up geometry and convergence), dirt and dust collecting behind the screen, etc.

It's almost like owning a car! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks