Pilotdrift

Discussion in 'Music' started by Marc L, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Marc L

Marc L Stunt Coordinator

If you get a chance, check out this band. This is one of the most entertaining CD's I've heard in a long time.
    www.pilotdrift.com

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    What sort of music is it? Can you compare them to anyone?

3. Marc L

Marc L Stunt Coordinator

it's alittle hard for me to describe...other than it being sonicly interesting. but here's a blurb about the album from their site:

Pilotdrift's debut label album is Water Sphere--"Like a little movie rental store," says Carr, "you have your drama, sci-fi, thriller, fantasy, romance, historical documentary--whatever it takes to help you escape the daily grind." Water Sphere begins with the theatrical, haunting, dark, (and yet somehow inviting) "hit-you-from-behind" rock of "Caught in My Trap". Layers of instruments surround and enfold dangerously evocative vocals, drawing the listener, inescapably, into its net. From there it drops you into the unchartered pop waters of "Bubblecraft", which sounds like a 1970s James Bond, passed out in a jazz lounge, dreaming about the far future. After the electrical rain dance of "Passenger Seat," Pilotdrift entertains you with the fantasy story of "Late Night in a Wax Museum." The middle of the record is anchored by a haunting 10-minute epic entitled "Jekyll and Hyde Suite" that sounds like a two-faced orchestra battling within itself to free from a straitjacket. Immediately following is the Antarctic tale of Shackleton and his journey to "Elephant Island." A train ride through the Middle East takes you to "Rings of Symbols," an intense, mesmerizing sitar rock song. The album then cools you off with "Comets," a trance-instrumental that leaves you rested and ready for the last song, "So Long," an anthem in every sense of the word. Galloping and triumphant, it feels like coming up over a peak and seeing the sun burst out in front of you.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Seen them live. Radiohead meets Pink Floyd with a big dash of Fantomas.

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Thanks, guys -- that actually sounds like it might be interesting. [​IMG]

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I saw them live last year supporting another Texas band, Eisley. They're very interesting live - lots of instruments, lots of computer driven background rhythm/soundscapes. The people I was with hated them [​IMG]

7. Marc L

Marc L Stunt Coordinator

the pilotdrift CD is great. i would love to see them live. you got a a bunch of cool bands in texas. i would love to see the polyphonic spree as well.

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The Spree are my favourite live band of the moment, once you get past the obligatory harp solo they always seem to use as their introduction. They put on a great fun show & the crowd always has a great time.

They're recording a new album right now, so I'm presuming they'll be touring once it's done.

9. Marc L

Marc L Stunt Coordinator

I'm hoping that their tour will bring them out to the east coast.

I dig the harp solo man. I got into those guys seeing them on Austin City Limits, and they sounded great! i still have that show saved on my DVR. And it'll stay there until I get a DVD burner. Looks like they put on a fun show.