Pilot light won't stay lit, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

My heating system's pilot light won't stay lit after I release the control knob button, so I'm freezing my tootsies off, and last night was COOOOOLLLLDDDDD!!!!

Is there anything I can do, beside calling in a repair dude?

2. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Sounds like your thermocouple is bad. Pick up a new one at Home Depot or Lowe's. Takes about five minutes to install. Also, on some units - you have to hold down that pilot light button for a good minute or so and make sure you don't have the fan running. Check for any drafts that could be blowing your pilot light out.

Otherwise, it's most likely your thermocouple.

- Colton

3. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Had this happen to me and called the gas co. dude.

On the backside of the the pilot tube there is a small slit that can get clogged with lint or whatever and that is the most common cause of a pilot light failing to stay on. Use a toothpick to clean out that slit. Course if that is clean already than you have more serious problems.

The gas dude said that the plugged vent slot is the most common fix he does on house calls.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Yeah, been reading elsewhere as well, and I guess a trip to Home Depot is in order tonight. I'll also see if I can clean out the lint if a clog is present.

Last night, before I realized my pilot light had gone out, it was atypically cold, and when I went to bed, I noticed it was cold, but just chalked it up to it being cold outside, and then I noticed how cold the air was coming from the vent in my bedroom, and then realized it was pure cold air being delivered, (I was sleeping with a pillow over my head to keep the cold air giving me a head cold at that point early this morning). My poor cats were literally plopped on top of me for warmth.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

it's probably the thermocouple as mentioned, it's about a 5 dollar part.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Is it easy to unscrew the thermo-couple, or do you just pull it off?

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

It depends on the system, ... but, if I remember correctly (it's been a while), ... you usually unscrew the entire unit (thermo-couple & pilot light) to take it out.

NOTE: IMPORTANT - Make sure you shut-off your Gas line!

Remove the unit first and then show it to someone @ Home Depot so they can help you match it up for your heating system!

Take your time there's generally a lot of sharp edges under there!

Phil

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

unscrews. has a flare fitting on the end of the thin flexible tubing.

9. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Woah, freaky, I just looked at the topic list and this one "Pilot light won't stay lit, any suggestions?" was immediately followed by "The business across the street is on fire..."

Hmmmm...

10. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, I finally got the pilot light to stay lit, but I had to retract the thermo-couple 1/4" to line up with the pilot because the new replacement thermo-couple was a little longer than the original one, but I'm so glad to have heat now! Thanks for the suggestions!