What's new

Pillow Talk 50th Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'd be happier if Universal released the two remaining Doris Day films it's holding back: Midnight Lace and Ballad Of Josie rather than do Pillow Talk yet again. Still, if it's been remastered I might pick it up for that and the commentary.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'll pick it up if it's remastered (each release gets a little better, but it could still be much improved upon.) The extras might be interesting. Have to see how well they're done.

I agree about the 2 unreleased Uni Doris films, especially Midnight Lace (and next year is its 50th anniversary.) We've waited long enough.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
I love Pillow Talk, but there is a limit to the number of times I can buy it. :laugh:

Another vote for Midnight Lace!!!!!

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
CineKarine - you are so right, this is such a needless rrelease.

I suspect that the commentary track is for a music only track since these folks are all film music people.
Needless as this release is, it will still start old threads up again- IS the color better,Is the aspect ratio correct, etc?

After all get bored with that, then its over to yet ANOTHER thread where for at least the tenth time they are talking about which foregn dvdsw of 55 Days at peking to get and Circus World to get.

UNiversal has announced a new line of classic films but they are not interesting for me - a box of pre code films which I know nothing of- which means I might be tempted to watch them once and never again - and the Demille Cleopatra which is a rerelease.

Wouldnit it be great if Universal announced an oldie they have NOT release before, the doris day midnight Lace and Ballad of Jose (bad film- rags by Jean Louis), if Paramount finally released some catalog stuff, If Fox actually announced the rumoured Tyrone Power Box Three which would complete all of our Power film collections, the clack and white films of Alice faye, The egyptian. Warners announcesRette Davis box four (including Beyond the Forest !!).

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

We just might get our wish about this since the not always trustworthy MoviesUnlimited mentions in its latest bunch of questions and answers that another Bette Davis set is being prepared for later in 2009.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly

I feel the same way! Would it kill Universal to dig deeper into their library..... I still want more Deanna Durbin! And I know there are tons of people that want Midnight Lace!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Universal continues to avoid bringing out the most requested of their missing catalog titles: more DEANNA DURBIN, THE UNINVITED, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO, more BOB HOPE (CAT AND THE CANARY, please!), re-dos of some embarrassing pan and scan travesties (ICEMAN, COLOSSUS, etc.) I think PILLOW TALK is swell, but not at the expense of titles never before released. Do Universal execs ever read this forum?

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Since some people already expect this issue to be resurrected, I will oblige...

Does anybody know if any improvements have been made to the picture or sound quality of this film over thew previous releases, some of which were a mess?

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter

Well, I know the release from fall 2007 (paired with LOVER COME BACK and SEND ME NO FLOWERS) had a transfer that was remastered and really quite nice, an improvement over the previous anamorphic release that was first issued misframed and then quietly reissued correctly framed and anamorphic. And let's not forget the 1999 non anamorphic DVD using the aged LD master... The film has had 4 different masters released to DVD so far, so if this is yet another remaster it will be #5. Amazing....

I didn't expect a new transfer on the 2007 disc, but that's what I got: a much cleaner and brighter transfer then the previous anamorphic version (which was difficult to find since it was on the market with the misframed anamorphic version in the same packaging).

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the recap, Chuck. I guess we should at least be assured that this year's release will have the corrected anamorphic version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks