pilellation when using Time Warner HD box

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by GeraldK, Jan 23, 2004.

1. GeraldK

GeraldK Agent

I've got the TW tech coming over tomorrow afternoon to diagnose a pixellation/no signal problem when using their Pace/DVI HD box.

I've noticed the problem is primarily on Discovery HD, but sometimes is on others as well.

Our set is a new Mitsu RPTV 65413, so I doubt that it's the problem.

The cable wiring is split in my attic from one cable out to 4 locations. Any chance the HD box is not getting enough strong signal to decode or is it more likely poor transmission beyond my house? They claim to have not received any complains, but, I doubt it could be my location only.

Thanks for any input/help.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It could be either. The tech should be able to check the signal strength at various points in the pathway. If the signal is strong enough when it enters your house but has been substantially weakened by the time it reaches your box, it's the wiring in between. But if the signal is weak when it first gets to you, it's a TWC problem.

I've had both. The only way to know is to have the tech take the measurements.

M.

3. GeraldK

GeraldK Agent

Thanks for the response, Michael. I'm just curious though. Why wouldn't I see this on ALL channels instead of just one or two? Theoretically, wouldn't a weak signal be evident everywhere? Or, is it possible that eventhough they are all coming in on the same cable together, some could be transmitted weaker from TW?

4. Michael Reuben

Very possible, particularly with HD channels that require more of the bandwidth.

Whenever I've had this problem, it's always been more evident on some channels than others.

M.

5. GeraldK

GeraldK Agent

ok, Michael. Thanks again. Guess I'll let the tech check it out. Hopefully, he'll add a signal amp somewhere that'll help me. Otherwise, I may have to go the route of a dish.

TW has a sole contract for cable service here and though generally their CS is pretty good, I had to wait a WEEK to get a HD box plugged in. Seems they don't let folks pick them up at a service location. All the guy had to do was plug in the coax. That was 2 weeks ago and now I'm having problems.

6. Michael Reuben

They wouldn't let me pick mine up either, but then they tried to impose a charge for the service call. I got it reversed because, as I pointed out, the call was only necessitated by their refusal to let me do a pick-up. Besides, I was the one who did the installation while the tech watched me. I don't let anyone tinker with my setup, and almost anyone who sees it is grateful not to have to try.

M.

7. GeraldK

GeraldK Agent

OK, the guy came by and claimed that my signal strength was actually TOO STRONG. I don't really understand that, but it turns out there's nothing wrong inside my house as the signal was "too strong" even at the distribution box out back. He decided to go ahead and change out any exterior connectors to make sure there wasn't any corosion on them since he was at my house already. He said he'd also be making some adjustments at the amp somewhere between them and my house. His theory is that some other tech(s) coundn't find/solve a problem, so they would just crank up the signal strenth. You know, he could have told me it was because the Mars rover wasn't working right and I would've believed him. I'm somewhat technically inclined, but just not in the electronics field. After he left at about 2:00 p.m. local, I decided to change the way I had the cable split in the attic. I changed from the original setup (incoming to a 4 way splitter) to incoming to a dual splitter. One now goes to the outlet that uses the HD box, and the second goes to a 3-way splitter, and then on to the other rooms for standard cable. My theory is that eventhough his meter said the signal was too strong, I figured I'll make sure the HD box was getting as much as it could. Rearranging the way I split the signal hopefully has helped. But again...what do I know....

Time will tell if he knew what he was talking about but I'll be up a couple of more hours checking all the HD channels out.

We sound a lot alike. Life's tough when we're picky, eh?

Thanks again for the help, Michael.

G.