What's new

Pierce Brosnan out as Bond? (UPDATE: Daniel Craig confirmed) (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the above poster, stop making Bond after Brosnan's 5th one. If they're going to remake him as a younger hipper guy to attract a youger audience, why bother, they tried with xXx.

What made Bond unique was what Ian Fleming, Terance Young and Sean Connery did in creating the film versions of Bond. Sadly the studios want to cater to what they think today's audiences want. Which is mindless explosive action for teens without the flair of what makes Bond, Bond.

I read Brosnan felt that they should just go back to basics and make a good thriller with characterization. But then that might be too adult! The Bourne Identity had a feeling of what a modern Bond film could be. Just add a few little bits of traditional Bond flair.

James T

Screenwriter
Maybe we read the same article? I read an article where Brosnan was asked what he would like to do on a Bond movie if he was given creative control. He basically threw random ideas, but they were pretty wild. He wanted nudity in a Bond film, somehow show that Bond never uses a condom and that if it was his last Bond film, that Bond would die. These were pretty old comments(I think prior to World is not Enough) and I think from a Maxim mag.

Michael_Q

Stunt Coordinator

I really really hope they do something like this, with some good suspense and cloak and dagger elements. However, I seriously doubt it will happen given the current direction of the series. My hope is that the coming of a new Bond (Clive Owen is my favorite option by far) can bring about a change for the better.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Huh? Sum of All Fears made $118 million domestic. Like the movie or not but I think the gross tells Paramount they made a pretty good choice.

Mike_Stuewe

Stunt Coordinator
I dont really mind the idea of a younger Bond, James Bond. I do hope though that by trying to go with a younger Bond, James Bond to attract a young audience they don't forget about their already established audience. They shouldn't be spending $100 million to make $150 million in the US to make the movie a huge blockbuster. How about they make the movie with $40 million, and make it a spy thriller. So what if they dont reach $100 million. Its a huge profit and a better movie.

Right now I think we all agree, it doesnt matter who plays Bond, James Bond if they continue with the quality of the last 3 storylines.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I'd love a more classic style spy thriller but I'm at a loss on why anyone thinks this a remote possibility. Each of the Brosnan bonds has been doing better than the one before it and are the chief cash cows keeping MGM alive. From MGM's perspective there is no need to change the formula. Their concern is lining up a new Bond so that they can build on the Brosnan bond movies, not take it into a new direction.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I think Brosnan should stay on for one more Bond film at least.

There's really no gauruntee how the audience will respond to another actor as many of the "newer" Bond fans have been brought up with Brosnan as the face of Bond -- not only in the movies, but also in the video games and various other merchandising tie-ins.

I just think it'd be a silly risk to take at this juncture. And Pierce deserves a better send off than Die Another Day. The next one will probably make more money than the previous ones, why fix something when it isn't broke?

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I think Mr. T should be the next James Bond.

EVIL MANIACAL VILLAIN
I am Dr. Maki Velli. I don't believe we have ever met, Mr...

MR. T
Grr! Bond! James Bond! Grrr! I pity the fool that tries to take over the world! Shake my martini, fool, before I show you some pain! Grrr!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I think you ignore the fact that the movie only shows the very early stages of his adaptation to being Spider-Man. He's not going to change overnight, and that's literally what would have to happen for you to get what you want. The truth is that he DOES mature during the movie, and in a fairly realistic fashion.

I grew up with the comic BOOKS - the newspaper strip is atrocious - and I think the movie is as close to perfect an adaptation of a comic book source as I've ever seen. Yes, I disliked a few small alterations, but overall, I thought it truly captured the spirit and tone and also was true enough to the source to keep me happy. I was absolutely delighted with the flick and can't wait for the sequel!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Ironic. MI5 (the British counter-intelligence service; Bond is MI6) recently posted its requirements, and one of them is that an agent should not be more than 5'11" tall: too tall and you're too obvious, you can't blend in. So the actors playing Bond are all too tall, e.g. Connery and Moore are both 6'2" or thereabouts. Funny, considering we've been complaining in this thread that some potential actors for Bond are too short, being less than 6'...

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
time to let Tarantino do a "throwback" bond as they revamp the 007 franchise back from the likes of the Rambo it has become.

For bond fans, It will be scary to see the young/popular and miscast "bond" actor they shove in the face of audiences :frowning:

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

"We went out on a high," Brosnan said,

I think he's deluded or in denial. Does anyone actually agree with that? I thought the last James Bond movie was terrible.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I wouldn't say it was terrible, but it in no way was it as good as the other 3. IMHO, The World Is Not Enough was the best, followed by Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies and as a distant fourth, Die Another Day.

I think Clive Owen is too scary/lacking the smooth-talking charisma to play Bond. That was the great thing about Pierce Brosnan is that he combined the silk smooth Connery Bond and the deadly viper Dalton Bond into the best Bond.

Ioan Gruffud is not scary enough, Hugh Grant is too charming... Gerard Butler might be able to pull it off. Ewan just doesn't seem right. Jackman could do it, but that would be movie series overkill. Maybe they need to go with a relatively unknown actor?

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The "high" Brosnan is referring to is the $432 million that "Die Another Day" made worldwide at the box office. That, and it's domestic mark of $161 million, both represent the highest marks achieved in the 42 year old franchise. "Die Another Day" is the only Bond movie to earn over $150 million domestically, and is also the only one to earn over $400 million worldwide.

Brosnan's Bond movies represent the only four films of the franchise to earn over $100 million domestically. Adjusted for inflation, 1965's "Thunderball" remains the most successful entry of the series. It's $141.2 million worldwide mark ($63.6 million domestically) translates to well over $850 million in today's market.

Rumors suggest that the producers are really high on Hugh Jackman taking over the role, but a final decision should be made very soon. The next movie is already set for a November 2005 release.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Must say that IMHO Jackman would make a fine Bond, of all the suggestions in that article he's the only one that combines the suaveness of Bond in a tuxedo, yet is physical enough to be convincing in a fist-fight, and has the inner streak of aggressiveness necessary to be a ruthless killer as appropriate. Bana might as well, although we haven't seen anything to show he can pull off the suave ladykiller part of the role.

Agree with David's critique of the other nominees; and also the possibility that Jackman might not get it due to his association with other franchises, although with Van Helsing less than stellar results that one might not continue any further.

But can you just imagine the confused kiddies? "Mom, why is Wolverine carrying a gun? What happened to his claws?"

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I really wanted Pierce to do one more, but I don't think he was interested in doing another Bond unless EON/MGM went a different route with it (R-rated, Tarantino style), and it doesn't seem like they were willing to go there.

If this is it, though, it has been in terms of popularity a remarkable run for the Bond franchise that has rejunvenated the character to a whole new generation of fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks