What's new

Pierce Brosnan out as Bond? (UPDATE: Daniel Craig confirmed) (1 Viewer)

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Brosnan is probably my second favorite Bond (right behind Connery). I believe that Dalton is closest to the novel's description...and though I liked Moore, I feel his characterization was more bent on humor than action.

Who should replace Brosnan? I don't know. I haven't seen Clive Owen, and I don't like the one's listed on the short list as Bond. Someone mentioned Adrian Paul...I think he would be pretty good. He's definitely in shape...and he's always reminded me of a young Sean Connery.

But I personally hope that this is all a ploy, and that Brosnan will make one more film.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
JonZ,

Have you never seen "The Spy Who Loved Me"?

Moore was actually body-slamming guys as he took on several thugs at once without breaking a sweat. I don't see Brosnan pulling that off.

Moore tended to have the biggest, baddest villains come out of the woodwork to fight him (i.e. Jaws). He almost always had to take on one guy who was "abnormal" to make it a challenge. Moore was pretty great considering he was the same age starting the series that Connery was when he initially left it.

Connery, Moore, and Dalton were all much more muscular and physical than Brosnan even if none of them were in tip-top shape by today's standards. Dalton probably was, but was extrmely lean in LTK if I recall.

Lazenby was probably the most physical of all.

Brosnan has a HUGE head, a wispy body, a craggy face, and crooked, yellow teeth. He also practically whispers and tends to have the wrong inflection on his one-liners. Sorry, Bond he ain't. As much promise as he showed back in the day when he was cool and kind of nice-looking on Remington Steele, it was too late for him when it started. Took him 4 films to relax into the role. I think he always tried too hard because he knew he really wasn't up to it. I don't know if they changed Bond to machine guns to "update it" or just to make up for the fact they'd lost the character and the actor to portray it.

Bring on a new Bond!!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Although not as dark as Dalton (who could have been the best Bond if given a chance) I liked Brosnans more serious portrayal.

Looking at his films now, Moore was too comedic in the part.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Somehow, I think this is all BS and Brosnan will still do at least one more.

If they do replace him, for the love of God, I hope they don't use the idea of having a young 007 just starting out. I love the current M/Q/Moneypenny lineup and would hate to see that tampered with.

If he is gone, then bring on Hugh Jackman. I could handle Jude Law as well, but NOT Clive Owen or Ewan McGregor.

ChristopherDM

Stunt Coordinator
I find this really disturbing, Pierce Brosnan IS James Bond and only second behind Sean Connery. If Pierce wanted to leave im fine with it, his decision. If EON and MGM want him replace to appeal a younger audience, do something like xXx then. Brosnan reivied the Bond franchise from the rut it was in the 80's.

I do like Daulton as Bond and also feel he is the most book Bond of them all, but audicenes didnt seem to like the darker,edger bond sans the stupid release date of License to Kill. Pierce also has said he doesnt want to be Roger Moore in View To A Kill...ala too old to be Bond he will know when to walk away.

Possible replacements...Im sorry I love Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and looks great in Van Helsing, but Bond he aint. I havnt seen Clive Owen enough to pass judement.

Chris

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

I'd even go so far as to say I put Brosnan slightly ahead of Connery. Don't get me wrong, I really like Connery, but more his work when he was older than younger. Like First Knight, Entrapment, Hunt for Red October, Last Crusade, etc.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Sorry, I'd have to disagree. As someone earlier pointed out, he's way too short to be Bond, likewise Ewan McGregor, who simply doesn't look the part anyway.

I haven't seen enough of Clive Owen's work to comment constructively, but otherwise of all the names thrown up so far, I'd go with Hugh Jackman (also if they "clean him up a bit" -- TM BrianW :D ). He's got just about the right look and physique.

But I can't see him getting involved in yet another franchise, plus no doubt the producers will feel that he brings too much "baggage", i.e. the Wolverine persona -- into it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'll second the nomination of Jackman. He's very versatile and his work has shown that he can handle the suave parts of the role - like in Kate and Leopold - and get tough as necessary, ala Wolverine. Probably won't happen, but I'd be curious to see him do Bond...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just read on ianfleming.org that a British paper confirmed that EON Productions who make the Bond films has declined to take on Pierce's license to kill.

And there's another funny news story there from a former Bond girl who was speaking out that this was a very bad idea. I hope it's all rubbish, Pierce should have one last film.

By the way, I saw Hugh Jackman once on a daytime talk show a few months back promoting his Broadway musical show and they asked him about Bond. He jokingly looked at the camera and did a very gay, "Bond, James Bond". I don't think he's interested and I don't think he's right, not British. Seeing Clive Owen in The Bourne Identity convinced me he's not right either. He doesn't have the right upper crust accent for the cinematic Bond. And as been said, he feels the part is not very interesting to him. Obo Wan Kanobi, er, Ewan McGregor isn't right either, too short.

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
I think that Clive Owen would be a great James Bond. He's capable of playing a gritty, dark Bond and, at the same time, injecting a little humor into the role.

For those of you who have not seen his work, you can download all of the BMW movies/commercials at: BMWfilms.

My favorite commercials were Star (for its humor) and Ambush (tense and riveting).

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I have to agree Dalton was a great Bond. I thought License to Kill kind of sucked; no fault of his though. I was really hoping the stories were true a few years back that he was doing a competing Bond at the same time Brosnan was doing Bond. Alas, that didn't happen. Couldn't have been worse than NSNA.

Some of the Moore films were a bit campy, but if you focus on the good ones (and not the early ones where they were trying to make him be Connery by smacking around women and the like) he was excellent. (i.e. The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only.) Some of the goofiness was the fault of the writers and the fact the filmmakers kept going back and forth on how serious vs campy they should be. "Oh, let's put him in space, because Star Wars is big; now, let's be serious and more gritty because we were so silly before; now, let's be silly again" and so on.

Brosnan's super-serious portrayal (particularly GoldenEye) made it hard for me to believe he'd be able to hold up in that line of work for a long time. Like he'd have to take a lot of trips to mental institutions or break down and cry a few times every other mission. Moore took everything in stride and didn't take everything so seriously while still remaining focused on the mission. Kind of like a doctor distancing himself from his patients so he doesn't suffer so much each time he loses a patient. Yet, amazingly Moore could also pull off actually caring about all the women who got killed around him even if he only showed it a second or two. Connery was always like "Well, no more pussy from her." Or from Connery it might be "pushhy".

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Brosnan was a great Bond - I am one of those who would put him slightly behind Connery. The problem with Brosnan was that none of his films were that great. They were watchable and fun, but they weren't great the way that Connery film's were. But, if Brosnan had made a great Bond film, he might have even overtaken Connery.

And I'm in the camp who think Dalton was pretty good as well.

Moore was a bit better than Lazenby, but not by much. I don't really like either of their portayals.

Real Name
Anthony
According to the Latino Review website, MGM have officially denied any rumour that Brosnan will not be Bond for a fifth time.

So it looks like this WAS another wage dispute being fought in public ; though given the strength of some of the comments, it sounds like it got pretty acrimonious.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
:) Sorry, but this is all a bunch of crapola, and I don't believe it for a minute. Brosnan will be back as Bond, I am 100% sure. He is one of the most popular Bond EVER, with old and new fans. He has also become the face of all of the Bond videogames, he will even be voicing the next one.

Brosan has the Bond role for as long as he wants it.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I just whoever does eventually replace him does not demand a three year wait in between movies. That is the one and only thing I hate about Pierce.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks