What's new

Piega P-8 Limited have arrived! (1 Viewer)

Mark_Waldrep

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't posted to this area of the HTF, I spend my time contributing to and reading the Music Area. As the owner of AIX Records, an audiophile label dedicated to making new high-resolution, multi-channel recordings for DVD-Audio, I have a studio equipped with some very serious gear. I make new recordings at a local chamber music auditorium and then bring the 24-tracks back to my studio where I mix using a Euphonix System 5 all digital console.

Up until yesterday, I have been a rock solid fan of B&W 801s and have used them to prepare hundreds of records and DVDs. Through and association with HiFi Farm and Sanibel Sound, I acquired a complete set of Piega Speakers (the P-8 Limited) and a subwoofer. After traveling via air freight from Switzerland, we uncrated them, set them up, tweaked the room and tried some of our latest recordings...WOW! Was I amazed at the transparency, crispness, clarity and resolution of the high end. My B&Ws have always been wonderful but these new towers elevated my room and playback experience to a completely new level...sadly not one that I can afford to have at home.

Our latest recording is of Laurence Juber (former guitarist of Wings and now a solo finger style player). He played with an acoustic bassist (Domenic Genova) and percussionist (Steve Forman) a couple of weeks ago. Incredible sound from a profoundly musical trio. The bass extended the low end of the guitar and the mostly metal percussion filled out the high end with sparkle and brilliance. Steve brought is a wooden stick with dozens of tuning pins from a junked piano strung together with mono-filament line. I have never heard a musical instrument that contained such a complex array of super high frequency sounds...upon playback through the Piegas, all of that magic was there. The 96 kHz/24-bits, the stereo miking and the PCM recording captured all of it and the speakers brought it back to life.

I just had to share some preliminary thoughts to others that might be interested. According to HiFi Farm, AIX Records is the first west coast installation of these amazing speakers. They will be used for all of me mixing and mastering from now on.

Mark_Waldrep

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't done pictures through this Forum...I'll take some asap and figure out how to post.

Mark_Waldrep

Stunt Coordinator
I incorrectly identified the model number of the speakers that were installed at AIX Records yesterday...they are C-8s. Sorry for any confusion. And there is a picture on their web site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks