What's new

Piecing together my first speaker set... (1 Viewer)

kretien

Auditioning
Real Name
Nate
So I've been looking to setup a 5.1ch sound system for my living room. Searching around craigslist I found a few speakers that seem decent for the price and I was hoping to get an expert opinion.
Here's what I found for about $150 total:
1 Pair of Klipsch KG.5 bookshelf speakers
1 Pair of Cerwin Vega L-7 bookshelf speakers
1 Cerwin Vega LS-5C Center speaker
I still need to find a sub. Also I plan to pick up a Denon receiver from www.ac4l.com.
Would this set sound alright? Am I in over my head?
Otherwise I did find someone selling a Energy Take 5 set for $125...
Thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It doesn't look like the CV center and bookshelves match each other (different drivers and tweeters) and the Klipsch bookshelves would sound quite a bit different. Nothing wrong with piecing together a system but they should be from the same series of the same brand. Of your two choices the Take system is the one to get. You're on the right track for the receiver, though :) .

kretien

Auditioning
Real Name
Nate
So I ended up breaking the bank. I found a very nice set of speakers that I couldn't stop drooling over. Someone was selling a 5.1 set of PSB Image speakers which I took off his hands for under $500. A little more than I intended to spend but should last me a while :)
I also just got the AVR-591 from ac4l. Hope to have it all set up this weekend.
Thanks Gene for the help!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You have no idea how much better those PSB's (Paul and Susan Barton), or any PSB's, will sound compared to the Klipsch/CV's and even the Energy Take's. Denon's can be a pain to setup. This might help a little.
http://batpigworld.com/wp/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks