Pieces of ''2001: A Space Odyssey'' in other films

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Perregaux, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    In order to refresh my creative juices for a Star Trek parody novel I'm writing, I made myself sit through Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (yeah, I know... blech). But then, near the end, I heard an actual sound effect from 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was during the sequence where the shuttlecraft lands on Sha-Ka-Ree. As Kirk is getting himself a phaser and Sybock stays his hand, you can clearly hear the "radar" signal that was used during David Bowman's recovery of Frank Poole's body using one of Discovery's pods. I never caught this before.
    This reminded me of The Phantom Menace, in which an original pod prop could be seen in Watto's junk yard.
    I love 2001, and now I'm wondering if there are other films that feature original props, sound effects or even footage from this awesome classic. (Aside from anything appearing in 2010: The Year We Make Contact, of course, and discounting parodies such as "The Dawn of Man" sequence in The History of the World Part I.)

2. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    It's not really a prop or anything like you asked for, but Jane Fonda and Jon Voight go to see 2001 in 1978's COMING HOME, and you can see the starchild poster outside the theater.

It's my favorite movie too, Jonathan. I hope you got to see the 70mm print when it played in Hartford, CT in February.

--Bill

3. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

In the beginning of Aliens, they play the same piece of music that was played when we first see the Discovery for the first time (I forgot the name of the piece, sorry).

4. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

In A.I. there is one scene where you see the nebula (the white circular star group) featured at the end of 2001 along with at least one other snippet from the "light show". Both are footage directly from the film. It's during the Dr. Know sequence (#20) on the DVD.

5. DonMac

DonMac Stunt Coordinator

(Oops! My "Preview" errored out which caused it to post too early. The next posting is the intended one.)

6. DonMac

DonMac Stunt Coordinator

Richard Kim wrote:

Quote:

In the beginning of Aliens, they play the same piece of music that was played when we first see the Discovery for the first time (I forgot the name of the piece, sorry).

Good ear! The piece of music is the Adagio from the Gayane (sometimes spelt Gayne or Gayaneh) Ballet by Aram Khachaturian, although it's not clear if James Horner is intentionally quoting the piece as a musical homage to 2001 or simply ripping it off. Below are some links to compare the music.

The "2001: A Space Odyssey" soundtrack [click on Windows Media Sound Sample for Track #6 - Gayane Ballet Suite (Adagio)" ]:

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver.../itemid=378729

The "Aliens" soundtrack [click on only the RealAudio Sound Sample for Track #1 - "Main Title" because the Windows Media and MPEG clips are from different parts of the piece]:

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver.../itemid=305093

And here's a link to an album with Khatchaturian's Gayane Suites on it [the music in question is Track #15 - "Gayane Suite No. 3 IV. Gayane's Adagio" although Track #11 - "Gayane Suite No. 2 VI. Sabre Dance" is also worth a listen because it is actually a lot more popular and has been used in numerous movies, tv shows, and commercials]:

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver.../itemid=129240

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Anyone who likes classical music is urged to try out all (three, I think) of Khatchaturian's Gayane suites on CD; there is some marvelous stuff on there, and the 2001 bit is just so achingly beautiful and poignant....only Barber's Adagio for Strings matches it in my book.