Pictures to Web SIte coming out "blotchy"!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GarryW, Oct 3, 2002.

1. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

I put together some home theater pics of my gear using a digital camera and Microsoft Publisher. When I display the pics thru MS Publisher using IE, they look blotchy. I tried a higher resolution, but still no better. The camera takes fantastic pictures, and saves them as jpegs. I then copy or cut them from the smart card to my PC.

What's Up?

2. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Is your display set to 16-bit color?

3. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

What kind of compression settings are you using for the jpeg's when you save them?

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Is it because IE is automatically resizing the image to fit the window? You can turn that off under Tools | Internet Options | Advancecd | Multimedia | Enable Automatic Image Resizing

//Ken

5. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

If they look fine in other programs, but crappy in IE, and you want to make sure they always look fine, you're going to need to pre-dither them, basically.
    They are likely in 32-bit color, and dithered in other programs, they look fine. But in IE, it just matches the closest available color (which is faster) which then causes banding and blotchiness to occur.
    PaintShop Pro does a nice job dithering, and will let you set what color depth you want to optimize for (though I haven't worried about this problem in ~4 years...)
    It will decreae the overall quality of the picture (i.e., it will then look no better in 32-bit color than it does in 16-bit.)
    The description of blotchines is why I'm so sure it's this problem. If IE was downconverting resizing it, it just looks like a big jagged mess.
    Now, if it's in 32-bit color and is blotchy in every program, I gotta beg to differ with you, your camera doesn't take fantastic pictures! [​IMG] But, since you said that, I assume they look much nicer in other programs, yes?