What's new

Pictures of the New Outlaw 950 and new Internet Radio Receiver (1 Viewer)

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Here are three pictures of the new Outlaw 950 preamp and their new Internet Radio Receiver they just announced. Unfortunately I do not know availability time and price.
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

MarkO

Second Unit
What,,, no dual transformes for the analog and digital paths? I dunno it seems limited hardware wise.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Thanks for the pics!

Am I the only one that thinks that big green (power button I assume) looks really tacky on the 950?

-Keith

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Keith,
No, you're not the only one. In fact, over on the Outlaw Audio forums, it's been a hot topic almost since day one. Those who hate tend to be quite vocal. Those who like it, or don't have a preference seem to be less vocal.
Personally, I really like the look of the Outlaw equipment - I own the 1050 and 750 and saw the beta models of the 950 and ICBM in NYC last summer.
To each their own. :)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I did a search of the DACs and ADCs used in the Model 950 according to SMR's CES report on the Cirrus Logic website (they also bought out or merged with Crystal Semiconductor not too long ago, so they are probably using Crystal's audio chip know-how).

They are indeed the best PCM DAC's C.L. currently makes (the CS4396):

24 bit/192 kHz stereo design (I would assume Outlaw used 4 to decode the 8 channel output via PCM of the Cirrus Logic DTS-ES/DD EX/PLII/C.L. Extra Surround decoder/processing chipset)

Audiophile multibit delta-sigma design (not 1 bit)-- even the Lexicon processors have up to the present only used 1 bit sigma-delta audio DACs (I've also read comments and reviews that state Lexicon's sound "dry" and "uninspired" when it comes to music playback).

120 dB dynamic range

Enhancement of 44.1 and 48 kHz signals (upsampling to 88.1 kHz and 96 kHz??)

Handles full 24 bit word lengths

True 192 kHz sampling mode

Low jitter

------------

The ADC's are not the best Cirrus Logic makes (maybe middle of the road), but you'd probably be hard pressed to hear the difference from relatively low-fi analog TV and audio tapes being digitized for DSP processing.

24 bit/48 kHz stereo design (looks like they are also multibit delta-sigma)

105 dB dynamic range

128x oversampling

Low jitter

---------

Hopefully if the engineers coupled them with clean, high bandwidth circuit boards and a quality power supply the Outlaws got the most out of these converter chips.

Dan

W

Will

Curious why since they have the best DAC's [ 24 bit/192 kHz ], they would have maybe middle of the road ADC's [ 24 bit/48 kHz ] unless DVD-Audio analog signals never go through an ADC (analog-to-digital conversion). Does anyone know for sure if that's the case with DVD Audio analog input to the Model 950?

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle, that picture looks as if it is from your home theater system? If not, where did you get the picture.

J

John Morris

Does anyone know for sure if that's the case with DVD Audio analog input to the Model 950?
Hi Will: the 5.1 DVD-A input signals are left absolutely untouched by the 950 with the exception of the volume control. There is no processing whatsoever of the 5.1 inputs or any analog input when passed under "Analog Bypass" mode. The ADCs are only used to process signals passed to the digital output, AFAIK.

Brandon B

Second Unit
Mark O

The can around the toroidal transformers looks pretty tall for its diameter. Are you sure there aren't 2 transformers stacked in there?

BB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks