Pictures of my sub...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robin Smith, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    Thanks to everyone at this site who helped me with my MANY questions about the Sonosub making process. I learned a lot and am happy with the results!
    Here is a quick web site I made showing some pics of my sub. I'd welcome any feedback/comments.
    My Sonosub Page
    Thanks
    Robin Smith

2. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

Robin,
    Looks good, I do love the way you have flush mounted the grille.
    I have got a similar grille but have not mounted it yet, I think I will look at making a jig so I can flush mount it as well.

It will look so much better when you have a sock on it, your wife may even like it. My wife changed her mind when it was finished as to when it was near completeion.

Well done.

Warrick

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Nice work Robin, I also think the flush mounted port was a nice touch. So how does it sound?

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Yeow! That's a monster! Looks great!

I agree with everyone else, I love the look of the grille over the port. I would recommend your method to anyone looking to port out the top.

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Nice sub! It should be very similar to the one I built since its using the same driver and size is about the same. The only comment spec wise I'd have is that its likely a little under ported for that driver but I'm sure it will still scare you silly when you have it cranked up[​IMG]

6. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

It sounds great!
    I have just ascertained that my plate amp (from MCM) has the artificial bass boost (although they now ship with it disabled). I am trying to get the spec sheet from MCM Tech Support so that my soldering friend can do the resistor mod for me.
    Once the mod is done, I am expecting even greater things.
    I just spent an hour demoing various DVDs for my skeptical buddy who left saying "I want one". We checked out the pod race scene from TPM, the Shrek's Karaoke Songs, the Toy Story 2 opening (Buzz Lightyear game), and the Beastie Boys Criterion. The choices had to be kid friendly as my two children were around. So no Matrix or Fifth Element [​IMG]
    I used Video Essentials to calibrate the sub and speaker. I have the speakers at 75db and the sub at ~78db.
    Andrew, in what way do you mean under ported? As in a 6" port would be better? The tuning brings it to 15.4 Hz with ~38cm 4" flared port. The air speed in port was around 15 m/s at 18.7 Hz in LspCAD. Also, I have yet to hear any noticeable chuffing from the port on the DVDs and tones I have demoed it with.
    Overall, I am mighty satisfied and have many people at this forum to thank for that!
    What can my next DIY project be? I think my wife wants me to paint a dresser, build a deck, build a fence and finish my basement (so we can move the sub down there) - I see no audio stuff in my immediate future. [​IMG]
    Thanks
    Robin