What's new

***Pictures of my HT under Construction, a few questions*** (1 Viewer)

Damon Hill

Auditioning
http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.a...album_id=43903
SO, what do you think?
Im wondering how to make the rear wall on the attic side as sound proof as possible to keep the sound from the rest of the house. The rest of the walls dont matter because they are over the garage.
Also, what about the side walls, the 3' part? Im thinking absorbitive material on those, but what about the top of the side walls, the ones that are angled? Should those be reflective too?
Thanks for the help

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
What a fun space! Tucked away over the garage.

It looks like there is some attic space left in the back of the theater? I see a door frame there at the top of the stairs? I would invest in some weather stripping around that door to make it airtight (also use a solid door), insulate that wall and the walls in the attic space. That will give you some buffer space between the rest of the house and the HT.

It's difficult for sound to travel from one medium to another (wall to fiberglass to air). So, the more transitions you make the better. It's the vibrations being passed through the actual framing of the house that will be the problem.

As far as the walls go, I wouldn't worry about the 3' sections, since you will probably have furniture at that level that will break up any standing waves there.

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
Damon,
Yes, that does look like a fun space! I don't have any advice on soundproofing, since my room is not soundproofed as it should be and the subwoofer travels upstairs to annoy my wife when I'm watching a flick and she is not!
You'll be spending some fun times above your garage, both during your construction phase and after completion. What type of theater will yours be? Front projection? Seating? Decor? I'll keep an eye on your site to watch it come together. :)

Damon Hill

Auditioning
Thanks guys! Mike:

I wont have enough room nor the money for a projector and screen, so im going with a 53" rear projection HDTV. The front wall where the TV will be and the ceiling will be flat black, the wall are going to be finished in a dark Burgandy and the carpet will probably be gray. I plan on some rope lighting for the riser and a nice thick black Curtain to drape along the rear wall, for looks and to add some diffusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks