What's new

Pictures of my first DIY speaker project. (AV-1s) (1 Viewer)

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Also, I was told to never oil veneer because veneer is so thin that it can starting doing stuff to the glue underneath or just cause problems. You can only finish or lightly oil veneer but generally leave the oil for the solid woods.
Yeah, I have been told that also. What's funny is that I was also told that natural oil on veneer was easier on the glue than finishes with heavy solvents in them. I figured what the heck, lets give it a try! ;)
I also heard that 90% of the issues caused by a finish on veneer is because by two things. 1) not enough pressure applied when gluing. Like Chris said, a vacuum press is the best for this, but like many, I do not have access to one so I used a piece of MDF as a scraper. AND 2) not giving the glue long enough time to cure before flooding the surface with the finish. I waited a week before applying the oil to give the contact cement enough cure time. The NBL veneer that I used is pretty think stuff compared to paper backed veneer and has a moisture barrier that is suppose to help with glue and finish leakage. I guess only time will tell...
The following statement is a big speculation on my part: Another reason that I used pure tung oil was because tung oil actually penetrates wood and cures inside the wood opposed to a poly, which is harder, but is on the outside of the wood. I figured this internal hardening might keep the veneer from expanding and contracting as much over time. Again, I guess only time will tell!
A Tempest sub to compliment my AV-1s is my next project! I am going to use a yellow glue "wash" to apply the veneer or maybe even the yellow glue/iron-on technique instead of contact cement to see which way last longer over time!
All of the above information is not tried and true by me. It is just my speculation or things I have read/heard. Again, this was my first veneering job ever. If peeling or bubbling occurs I will be sure to let you guy know what NOT to do! ;)
Thanks for all the input! This is an ongoing learning experience for me! I hope others find the information on this forum as valuable as I do! :)
Take care,
Ronnie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.