What's new

Pictures of 4805 up close? (1 Viewer)

Daman

Second Unit
Well i have a few infocus 4805 shots, the are on a plain white wall with around 90" image size, check them out in my signature link below. Some are shots from a high def discovery channel program and some from a couple of movies.Click on the 'my setup' link below. Once you get to the image you can click on it to see it in its full size.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
As an aside for those looking to DIY a screen for the 4805, I've been trying different "cheap" screen materials for a hard screen. The first one I built I was a 73 incher using expanded PVC sign material, which worked great. However I bought a smaller piece to make a 51" screen (see "My Gear" for why this size) and found it had a hotspot. Not sure if it was because of the shorter projection distance, resulting in a shorter offset or if the material was just different (bought it from a different place this second time)...maybe a combination. So back to AVS for another material idea and located the melamine AKA "white vinyl" at Home Depot made by Do-Able Products. I bought a small piece to make sure there would not be hotspots and then had a 4X8 sheet cut to size. So the Do-Able sheeting is now my preferred material - hard surface, flat, very cleanable, no hotspots, tough and cheap at 14.00 a sheet. You can make a 96" 16:9 screen out of one sheet; I wound up with three 51" screens :) I'll post some shots soon.

EDIT: Funny thing - driving into Home Depot I wound up behind a pickup truck with the vanity plate "DOABLE." I guess it was fate :)

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
Cameron, I just bought a 4805. That tripod mount cracked me up, very clever, but aren't you afraid of someone tripping over the legs in the dark and sending that toppling over.

On to my question, do you prefer for PQ the melamine material over the sintra material you were using. I might check out home depot for white vinyl. Currently i just use my grey beige wall, but if I can crack up PQ inexpensively, I'm up for it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've basically abandoned that tripod setup. Besides the risk of someone tripping on it, when people walk around the general area it makes the projector bob because the floor is not solid. It was kind of a fun weekend project though and the money put in was pretty minimal. Had to buy a new toaster oven pan though :) The best setup for using that 73" screen is actually to pull the sofa back and put the projector on a 24" stand. My living room gets a bit cramped, but we set it up this way in my friend's place, which is bigger, and it worked really well. So basically when we do large groups we have been doing it at his place, which is fine by me.

As far as my preference on PQ b/w the Sintra and Melamine, I'd say the two are pretty close. The Melamine probably has a bit more gain to it and is a whiter white than the Sintra. When I was shopping around for Melamine I did find one place that carried it in grey. I haven't seen this anywhere else and some day I may give it a try to see what it does with black levels, but right now I'm happy with it on the white. The elimination of hotspot is a big benefit.

I think with the 73" screen with Sintra there is a slight hotspot, but because the projector is further back and further offset, the hotspot doesn't show as much. So I would recommend the Melamine as it covers all issues and is less expensive (a 1/8" sheet of Sintra for the 73" screen cost me about 35.00).

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. Is it possible to paint the melamine grey or does that sort of material not take to paint too well?

James Phung

Second Unit
Elijah,
I noticed you said you were using your sony dvd player at 480p to the projectors. Did you try sending 480i to the 4805 since the 4805 incorporates one of the top of the line Faroudja chips? I'm not sure what the sony uses for the deinterlacer but there aren't many deinterlacers better than the faroudja.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I've always assumed the paint doesn't adhere well, but it sounds like some people at AVS have done it. If you're going to paint, then the Sintra is probably more appropriate. I believe the people at Goo Systems recommend the material for their product.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Unless you have a higher end Denon with Faroudja you definitely want to go this route. A review of the 4805 at Home Theater HiFi basically puts it on par with a Denon 1600.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...r-11-2004.html

I have a region free Toshiba 4900 sending an interlaced signal to my 4805. The Toshiba's progressive scan is crap otherwise. I did have a Bravo D1 sending 854 X 480 to it, but put in the Toshiba instead for its region free playback and better interface (though it still doesn't have a Remaining Time display).

Elijah

Supporting Actor

Yeah, when I was taking these pictures I decided to use the Progressive signal from the DVD player, simply for perceived image quality. That is always the last line of judgement and decision making that everything must fileter through.

But yeah, I am aware of the Faroudja and how great it does, and also read tons of posts over at AVSForum.com about how the interlaced signal looks better, on the 4805 (same findings were on the AE700U), however that night when I hooked it up, i did many a switching back and forth, and the progressive had less artifacts (i know there shoud not be any artifacts when going from 480 source to 480 display, but none the less there were), and the image seemed clearer.

For my "review" however I upgraded the cables to bluejeanscable.com component cables, and tested with a variety of sources. Using the sony at 480i, 480p, my HTPC at 480, 720, and 1080 (did this for all three projectors). The 720 coming from the HTPC, using RGB cable, looked the best in my eyes, but I will post some upclose screencaps of the differences (very little to none in come cases).

I know that the 480i should have looked better, but I went with everyones suggestion, and trusted my eyes.

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, that's one hell of a review of the 4805. I hadn't read that review. Here's the conclusions.

Conclusions

The InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 is a very “honest” projector – the specification tell you everything you need to know about this projector. With minimal setup or adjustments, the 4805 produced a very accurate image with excellent grayscale and gamma tracking. An IRE 100/IRE 0 contrast ratio of 1550 while producing 467 lumens (in Low mode or 614 lumens, High mode) while accurately tracking D65 is rare with projectors costing many time more than the 4805. The gamma tracking was also among the most accurate I have measured.

My very first business projector was an InFocus, many years ago when they were about the only ones in the business. InFocus has obviously used their experience to produce a line of excellent 16x9 DLP-based projectors that directly target the HT market. While for my own use, I’d spend the extra dollars and get a projector with higher resolution (InFocus offers those as well), the 4805 is a remarkable achievement and an excellent value.

This review basically backs up what I've read elsewhere. Apparently infocus has desaturated the green segment somewhat. And their advertised specs are far more in keeping with tested results than some others I've seen. The dvd player I'm currently using is my museum piece, my venerable sony svp7000 and it only offers interlaced output, so I'm grateful to be able to use it. I'm seeing next to no artifacts even in pans from the 4805. The faroudja chip works and does what its advertised to do.

My only complaint is the chassis. Fairly low rent and I find the 4805 above average in noise. However, great picture, first rate de-interlacer, accurate calibration, the kind that could cost you a few hundred if your display device was really out of whack,and a longer than average bulb life at bargain prices. I guess I could ask for more, but I think I would be pushing it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My only wish for the review was for it to go into more detail about the Faroudja chip, but maybe they will do a shootout with only projectors in the near future.

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
I think you really need to count yourself lucky that infocus even bothered to include the faroudja chip in the 4805. They didn't with the 5000 model and the cost was cited as the chief factor. If the 4805 winds up dropping down in price again, infocus may redesign the 4805 and neuter the faroudja chip out like they did with the x1a and x2. Most players are pro scan nowadays, and with a lot of people you'd have to point out the aritifacts to get them to notice. I have a feeling the faroudja chip will wind up only on the higher end models and partly because of marketing reasons. For my situation, the chip is a huge plus and saves me from having to audition various pro-scan players. Having lived with ntsc artifacts all this time, I feel as if I just received an updated prescription for my glasses.

James Phung

Second Unit
Wasn't the x1/x1a/x2 were meant for their business line? I think that's why they rebadged the x1 to 4800. I don't think they'll take the faroudja out of the 4805.

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
X1 has a faroudja chip, the X1a and X2 don't. I'm only speculating what may happen in a price competitive environment. A lot of people don't find the faroudja chip to be of material benefit to them, so if Infocus were to cut costs on the 4805, I believe this is the first place they'd look. The 5000 model doesn't have it. You have to pay not only for the chip itself, but I believe infocus has to pay fees for the DCDI moniker on the projector.

The 4800 is no more, discontinued along with the x1, although you'll find both in inventory channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks