Pictures are up: EGO and Blueprint sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_Gomez, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Looks great!
    Now I know what you mean about Tubezilla Jr! [​IMG]
    Pete

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Hi Tony,
    I've sent you an email regarding the possible visit from me,if that would work with you?
    You did a great job on that sub,now if I can only hear it?[​IMG]

3. Thanks guys. Lewis, yes I got your email, but have yet to reply because this week was a little busy. I'll send you an email.

4. Marv

Marv Stunt Coordinator

That looks sweet!

-

5. Jeremy_Wolf

Jeremy_Wolf Agent

looks pretty good, If it were me though, I would flip the center channel so that it was upright and imaged correctly, especially since it is so small anyways. Doing that usually make the front sound stage on movies much more fluid.
    On the sub... I would hate to be your neighbor [​IMG]

6. Loren Jones

Loren Jones Agent

Anthony,
    Awesome looking setup. I have just finished my sub (Stryke SAE 1204)and purchased my Outlaw 1050 receiver and am now looking for speakers to build. I have looked at and thought extensively about the Dillon Acoustics Ego or Metaphor, but I was concerned about not having a matching shielded center channel available. How are you able to use the Ego with nonshielded drivers directly on top of your direct view television. I am sure the Ego's provide better sound overall than something like the Audax HT setup or the Vance Dickason kit from PE, so if it is possible to use the Ego as designed for a center channel, then I am going to follow your lead.
    Congratulations on your system,
    Loren Jones
    [email protected]

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Anthony,
    First of all, great looking setup! You did that on a college student's budget? You selling term papers or something?![​IMG]
    Second, I agree with Jeremy. Flip that center speaker 90 degrees. I did that with my center ACI Emerald once I got my RPTV and it made a HUGE difference in the soundstage. Since the RPTV is 50" tall I used a 2" thick piece of acoustic foam underneath the back of the speaker to angle it forwards.
    Brian

8. Thanks for the comments guys=)

Jeremey> I plan on uprighting it as soon as I can stablize it a little more (blue tack). My room mate is gone till the evening. behind the system is the outdoors. to the right is the bathroom, other bedroom and outdoors. in front is the living room. to the left is an outdoor stair well. below is a garage. ...so I have an ideal spot in terms of not disturbing anyone!

Loren> I also answered you on madisound, but to shorten it up, you can get a shielding kit for the 5W from E-speakers. The OWII doesn't need shielding...so you are good to go!

Jack> thanks=)..but the sub black isn't flawless...ZI wish it was!

Brian> The school pays me a decent amount of money to go to school. The car is paid off and rent is relatively cheap....so if I am a cheap b@$tarD, I can save up for this stuff=) And I'll get that speaker flipped up as soon as I get some blue tac=)

9. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

10. Thomas...but most people's wives like mine better!!!! Doohhh![​IMG] :b ...ok..that sounds bad[​IMG]

11. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Anthony, how do those little EGOs sound? How much did it cost you overall to build 5 of them?
    BTW, awesome looking set-up! [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Jeffrey, in a word, they sound incredible!
    How much...enough[​IMG]
    If you were to build them NOW, they would cost:
    Plans=$60
    5W's= 5x $90 (now on sale at zalytron)
    5W shielding kit $19 (at e-speakers)
    OWII=5x$79
    XOx~5x$62 (14awg aircoil/axon caps/axon and mills resistors)
    Terminal cups=5x$4
    Acustuff=$10
    wire=free
    veneer=free
    stain=free
    topcoat=free
    MDF=$20
    labor=....free[​IMG] ..man, someone should pay me for building my own speakers
    [​IMG]
    Total=~$1200 for a set of 5 ..and worth every blood and sweet covered penny:p)

13. ThuanVu

ThuanVu Stunt Coordinator

Tony,

Can you tell me where to buy the plan and material for the sub?

Thanks

Thuan

14. The plan is free....I whipped it up myself. The ego plan is owned by geofffrey dillon.
    If you want detailed plans, I think I can write them up.
    The two BPD1503's can be purchased herehere
    The Crown K2 was purchased at Mars Music (store closing).
    The BFD was purchased at a localmusic store (consistant pricing from many stores).
    Sonotube, foam, glue, dacron, laquer, MDF, bolts (dont know what they are called), dowels, posts and primer can be purchased at a number of different places...Home Depot for most of that stuff.