What's new

Pictures and/or experience with 88.5 liter sealed shiva? (1 Viewer)

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
I have had my heart set on a SVS 20-39cs for some time, but it looks like I will not be able to justify the cost. I came across some specs for an 88.5 liter sealed box designed by Adire especially for the Shiva driver. This and an amp will be well within my budget, and I absolutely love being covered in sweat and sawdust all weekend.

Anybody have pics of this sub? Do you like it? Have you compared one to any SVS?

Thanks for your help.

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator
I have had my Shiva in small sealed (35 L), medium sealed (54 L), medium vented (75 L tuned to 20 Hz) and now in a transmission line (8.5' line length). As you can tell I wasn't quite happy with the sound over the years.
The TL sounds the best. Its a wow. This 12" can sing now. Articulate, deep and tight. I am very happy with the sound now. The vented would be next on the list. The sealed systems just didn't give you that gut wrenching bass. It was boomy and just didn't sound very good. I have had this driver for over 3 years and wish I could afford some of the larger drivers out there. But the Shiva just keeps on going! No pics. Sorry.

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
If you are not limited by enclosure size, I would add $25 to the cost and get the Tempest. The Shiva is $125 shipped from acoustic visions and the Tempest is $150 shipped. You'll be happy you did!

rf

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Here are some pictures of an 88.5L that Gary Eneberg made. He did a great job on it.

This is a totally different type of subwoofer with different design goals. Since this is a low Q sealed design it was designed with music in mind foremost. Of course this statement doesnt mean the SVS cant do well with music and the 88.5 wont do well with HT, but they just excel in different ways.

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Ok, based on what all of you have said, this is not the sub for me. I am 90% HT and 10% music. Should I go with a tempest to get closer to the HT capability of an SVS? Or should I simply build a ported box with a shiva?

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
You know what? I've just realized 2 things.

1) I'm trying to do too much at once. I've lost the patience that is required to put together a quality system that will keep me happy for years to come.

2) I will not be happy with myself down the road for spending money on a sub that I really didn't want, and SURELY preventing me from getting an SVS.

Not to say that a diy sub can't be as good or better than a 20-39cs, but it isn't really what I want. I'll just save for however long it takes and buy what I want, so I don't have to replace it anytime soon.

Thanks for the help guys! Your quick replies and knowledge saved me this time!

Dean Mar

Stunt Coordinator
Bob

If the size of the sub doesn't matter, you can build a ported Tempest that will outperform the SVS. :)

Kyle Richardson can give you some great advice, I have purchased a sub from him and he knows what he is doing.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Bob

It's very good that your thinking long term and all the variables that come along with it.

You will not go wrong with the SVS-2039, but at the same time, the same type SVS performance but more of it could/can be had if you go DIY and for less $$ depending on how far you want to surpase the SVS.

I'd keeping thinking it over as I am sure you don't want to look back and wish you had approched your bass in a different way.
Exactly what your in the process of trying to deal with now..

Plenty of help here if you should decide to look back into DIY for your bass..

Good luck in your decision with the SVS-2039, excellent sub, or if the DIY route enters the picture again....

Geoff

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
OK, i've downloaded and printed out the ported and sealed alignment .pdf files for the shiva and the tempest. I have decided that a 142.5l ported shiva will give me the performance i'm looking for. It is tuned to 18.1 hz and can be had for under 200 dollars (including driver, port, wood, and paint). On paper, this alignment looks like it will deliver the goods, and at least keep up with the SVS CS series.

I plan to build it in a month or so, after I complete my flexy rack for my tv and equipment. I will power it with one channel of a Kenwood 175w x 2 amp I have running my subs now. Maybe in the future, i'll get a 250 watt plate amp for it.

Wish me luck, and thanks for all of the help!

A

Anthony_Gomez

Bob, one thing to consider: Most of us diy sub people, and even many SVS people I have come across in the threads, all have one thing in common. We keep wanting bigger and better bass!!!!

Here is my "sub" progression:
1) dual 5.25" bandpass "thing;)"
2) JBL PSW1200
3) Dual SV10's
4) Dual BPD1503
5) Dual Proto12's
6) tumult to be:)

Since you are 90% HT, SQ isn't as important as depth and clean spl. This means ported/PR/IB for you. Dual SVS-2039 will make most people happy. A single SVS-2039 usually has many (not all) people wanting a second one in not too much time.

IMO, if you go with a single SVS-2039, I would have in the back of your mind that there is a good likely hood that you will want another.

DIY may be far cheaper when you consider dual SVS's, but that is also a bunch of work. SVS is a really good "inexpensive" route if you don't want to build your own (which you sound capable of doing). I personally would consider nothing less than dual shivas for 90% HT. Having experienced dual tempests, a single tempest will make all but the really bass hungry people happy...I would take 2 though:D

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Dual shivas might be in my future, I will after all have an extra channel on my amp. (well i can actually have 4 shivas hooked up to it :D )

Did I mention that I have all of my HT equipment in my 13 x 13 x 9 bedroom? I think one shiva will do until I get a place with a dedicated HT room. (No, I don't live with my folks, but if I did I sure could buy a lot more stuff!!!)

I've been looking at the tempest plans, and even though it is only $25 more dollars, it would be more than twice the labor and wood to get a box built! Hmmm... might be worth it...

I'll chance a shiva tuned to 18.1 hz for now. Oooohh 18 hz... that sounds nice...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks