Picture tube vs. Projector

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Zos, Jul 21, 2002.

1. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Am I correct in thinking that the main thing a projector has over a picture tube TV (not interested in RP right now) is the size of the picture a projector allows?
    I want to spend around $1500 on a new set and I'm guessing that I could get a much better quality, visually, at that price with a picture tube than a projector.
    What am I giving up, other than size, by going with a tube over a projector?

2. Carl Gilbert

Carl Gilbert Extra

I think we're in the same camp. I absolutely love my XBR400 tube, even though it is only(!?) 36". Sure, it's not huge, but I think the space you put your set in has a lot to do with what you'll like. Mine is in a very open 2 story family room with one full wall of windows. Very bright, probably wouldn't even be able to tell if an RP was on or not. The sony tube picture looks great, even during bright daylight. Great 'compromise' set, too - most viewing is news and kids shows, so 4x3 is great. Snapping it into 16x9 for HD programming and DVDs is unbelievable. It doesn't fill up the whole wall, but that's not the point in this type of room.

Maybe consider where you're going to put it. A theater room in a basement would definitely be the place for RP, but brightly lit family room applications probably work in favor of tube.

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    a picture tube will be brighter, not have viewing angle troubles, and most likely last longer. I just bought a Rear projection CRT, 46" i prefer it for watching movies, but if you only watch satellite or cable, get a tube. I would say that you assumption about size being the only advantage is mostly true.

However, when you break it down to cost per square intch, most rear projection HDTVs represent a better value than a tube. A 16x9 HD tube of 30" or bigger costs a lot more than most Rear Projection sets of similar size.

To the best of my knowledge, the biggest 16X9 tube available is around 38", and costs over 5 grand. My 46" HD RPTV cost 2 grand.

4. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Thanks for the responses!

I would get an RPTV if they didn't have to sit on a base. I think they make great TV's, I just don't like how bulky they are with the base. A tube set on the other hand can be placed on a nice cabinent. Just looks better to my eyes, no offense you RPTV owners!

5. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

"a picture tube will ... most likely last longer (than an RPTV)." This is not the case. According to Consumer Reports, RPTVs, on average, outlast tubes.

Another advantage to RPTV is color accuracy... since these TVs use three separate CRTs to create all the colors you see on the screen, as opposed to the single CRT used in a tube TV, RPTV pictures are typically much more colorful and realistic looking. Viewing angle is a factor that everyone mentions when complaining about RPTVs, but realistically, this isn't nearly the problem that it was ten years ago, and anyway, how often do you watch your TV from a 75 degree angle? The only real knock against the picture quality of RPTVs is the brightness... they will always look better in a dimly lit room, where a tube TV can hold its own in a bright room much more effectively.

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I would say, use size as your biggest reason for choosing projection or direct view tube.
    Projection TV has better color accuracy because it can use colored cellophane to get the desired color, while direct view relies only on the phosphors. Today's phosphors are not really the best for color, red is a bit on the orange side and green a bit on the yellow side.
    Incidentally the phosphors of the 1950's that RCA first used were better in terms of color. They became obsolete because they didn't give much brightness.
    There may have been experiments with using color dyes on the face of direct view tubes. The disadvantage here is that if the dyes bleached over time from the light of the phosphors, restriping or redotting a direct view CRT is impossible while replacing the colored cellophanes or gelatins in an RPTV is easy.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    For me, I would say the greatest advantage of a FPTV is the duplication of the cinematic experience.