What's new

Picture tube problems w/ the new sony kv36xbr400 (1 Viewer)

Gary N

Auditioning
I HAVE NOTICED IMPERFECTIONS IT THE BUILD QUALITY OF THIS SET.
1. THE BALANCE. IT IS TREMENDOUSLY "TOP HEAVY" FEEL LIKE THE TV WILL FALL ON ITS FACE WHEN ONE WALS BY THE SET.
2. POOR QUALITY REAR JACK PANEL. WHEN HOOKING WIRES UP TO THE REAR OF THE SET, THE PANEL BOWS IN AND OUT. FEEL LIKE MY HAND WILL GO THROUGH THE SET IF I PUSH ANY HARDER.
*******3. DISCOLORIZATIONS IN THE CORNERS. BLUES, GREENS ETC. NOTE: NO CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER IS BEING USED NOR IS ANY SPEAKER NEAR THE SET. HOWEVER, THE DISCOLORIZATION APPEARS TO BE CONSISTANT WITH A NON MAGNETICALLY SHIELDED SPEAKER.
NOTE: TV BOUGHT JUST A FEW WEEKS AGO. A NEW SET IS CURRENTLY ON ORDER TO TRY.
PLEASE NOTIFY ME OF ANY ADDITIONAL PROBLEMS WITH THIS SET. IT SEEMS I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE CONCERNED ABOUT THIS ISSUE.
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION IS APPRECIATED.
GARY N
------------------
nevoav

Dave Bach

Auditioning
Gary,
I just bought a KV 36 XBR400 and I have to agree with all three of your points and add a fourth... NO S-VIDEO MONITOR OUT! I would think that Sony practically had to go out of their way to omit a jack like this.
As far as balance is concerned, did you buy the matching stand? It has a locking strap to hold the monitor down in the back... I found this useful as the first thing I did before assemling the stand was to attach casters to the bottom of the unit.
I was as disheartened as you regarding your #3, Discolorization in the corners... I found that turning off the power and turning the unit back on fixes the problem. I imagine it degauses itself when it powers up.
Dave

Am interested about the back lockdown thing. Mine is in an armoire, would like to rig up something similar because it does seem like you could pull it forward with not much effort.
As my 200+ lb tank of a TV is in the armoire at the moment, what kind of mount is available at the back of the set? Is there a place to bolt on, or a loop or hook or something? Would check myself, but still recovering from the last time I tried to move that beast ;-).
Thanks!

Dave Bach

Auditioning
The back of the set simply has a singular screw hole surrounded by some molded plastic. A plastic clasp that comes with the stand gets screwed in here (and a small screw at that). Then a nylon strap that is attached to the top of the stand buckles in to the TV and you can pull it tight.
It seems fairly flimsy, but I imagine it is not really under too much duress... it's not holding up the weight of the set, and it's better than nothing.
You could probably screw some homemade thing in.
Dave

Andy

Grip
As far as the set being 'topheavy', a flat screen
requires very large thickness to withstand the
vacuum, hence the front heavy weight. I have a 5 yr
old 32xbr, while not flatscreen, but cylindrical screen
and even it is extremely front heavy, and yes it
has a defacto Sony stand with safety strap, works
well.

Gary N

Auditioning
I would like to thank all who responded to my topic thus far. If additional information can be relayed concerning the discolorization experience, please contact me with additional information. This bothers me the most.
RE: Discolorization of the tube with the SONY KV-36XBR400 DIRECT VIEW TV.
THANKS,
GARY N
------------------
nevoav

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks