Picture setting on 40H80

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Leggatt, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Ken Leggatt

Ken Leggatt Stunt Coordinator

Hi. I am having problems with my set. I think the picture is great with 90% of what I am viewing but I am having troubles when scenes in movies get real dark like in Unbreakable. i can't hardly see anything at all. I tried upping the brightness but that introduced some red glow to the bottom left and right corners. Here are my current settings:
    Contrast 35
    Brightness 50
    Colour 50
    Sharpness 34
    From what I can tell these are in line with what other users on the board have. Can anybody give me any recomendations? I think the grey scale may be off but it looks grey to me. I did have a tech come over and he managed to play with the trim pots under the cover I have a hunch this may be my problem. Please give me some advice.
    Ken

2. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Bring your contrast up to around 40 and see if that helps. I start losing detail in dark scenes when my contrast goes below 38 on my Tosh 56X81.

3. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Ken,
    Your sharpness setting seems a bit high. I also have a 40H80, and after calibrating with Avia my settings are as follows:
    Contrast: 40
    Brightness: 50
    Colour: 50
    Sharpness: 10
    If you haven't purchased either the Avia or Video Essentials DVDs to calibrate your system I highly suggest you pick one of them up. I was amazed at the improvement I was able to achieve.
    Chip

4. EddieN

EddieN Agent

I had the same issues with my 40H80. After I had calibrated with Video Essentials all the dark scenes were too dark, try watching Interview with a Vampire with your contrast at 35 ... so I basically eye-balled the contrast until I could see enough detail in the dark scenes, here are my settings now:
    Contrast: 48
    Brightness: 50
    Color: 50
    Sharpness: 35
    Also don't forget to restack the screen, disable SVM, and enable 3:2 pulldown

5. Joe McCormick

Joe McCormick Auditioning

Restack the screen, disable svm and enable 3:2 pull down?
    Could you please elaborate on these?
    Thankyou
    joe

6. EddieN

EddieN Agent

Indeed, by restacking the screen I meant move the shiny outer screen to the back of the stack. In our apartment we have a halogen lamp in the front and the back of the main room, well when the back light was on, it was glare galore. At first I was kinda reluctant to do it, fear of messing something up, but in the end it was really easy to do. There are 6 screws holding the screen on, unscrew them all, then place the screen face down on a very fluffy, but clean comforter type material. There are four brackets holding the screen in, take those off, carefully lift the back 2 screens off (everything except the shiny one) place it on the comforter, lift out the shiny one and place it in the back, lift all 3 and put them back in the assembly, put the brackets back on, put the screen assembly back on the TV, and that's it for the restacking of the screen. You can read more about it here, under the tips and tweaks sectionhttp://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/theater.htm
    Scan Velocity Modulation (SVM) IMHO makes the picture look soft and fake - you can read about it herehttp://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefulinfo/svm.html Disabling it on the 40H80 is pretty easy, no need to fear. Pop off the speaker grills, under each grill there are 4 screws, take those all off and the middle plastic piece comes off, now your looking at the guts of your beloved RPTV. Look at the circuit board laying flat closest to you, you should see an arrow pointing to a wire, pull the wire and, I think, it disables SVM, I thought the picture looked better, but it might just be me. Read about it herehttp://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefu...ble_40h80.html
    3:2 pulldown - this ones the best tweak. If you have a pronto or one for all remote you can enter into ADDR mode on the H80 sets. Apparently some of the older sets don't have the 3:2 pulldown enabled, but the newer ones do. I was able to find a CCF file for my Pronto that allowed me to enter into a special ADDR mode, UPCON ADDR, and change addres 17FH to 00000111B, gets rid of jaggies and improves DVD viewing by a bunch.
    Read all about it herehttp://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...&f=21&t=000887 (sorry for referencing something other then HTF)
    ------------------
    - Eddie

7. Ken Leggatt

Ken Leggatt Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I will pick up the Avia disk and hopefully that will help. I will definitely bump up the contrast a bit.
    I don't know about restacking the screen though, seems a bit advanced.

8. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

My ISF'd 40H80 is in a room that I have total lighting control over.
    My settings:
    FULL MODE
    Contrast: 28
    Brightness: 48
    Color: 58
    Tint: 0
    Sharpness: 6
    Flesh Tone: OFF
    DNR: OFF
    Temp: MEDIUM
    Your mileage may vary.
    -Gary

9. EddieN

EddieN Agent

hmm ... howcome the contrast is always set really low on ISF'd sets ? If I set my contrast to 28 I won't be able to see anything in dark scenes and bright scenes will look dark. Hey Gary, do you have a progressive scan player going into the set ? if not I definitely recommend the 3:2 pulldown update, it's awesome.
    ------------------
    - Eddie

10. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Eddie,
    Yes, the TV is fed with a Toshiba 5109.
    -Gary