Picture Quality Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoeKreidler, Jan 3, 2003.

1. JoeKreidler

JoeKreidler Extra

Here's hoping someone can explain this to me.

I just retired to my father the Sony NSV-700P Prog. DVD player for the JVC XV-FA900 (mainly for the DVD Audio), I have this hooked to a sony KP51hw40 RPTV (HDTV Compat.).

With that out of the way here we go. With the JVC on Interlaced and the TV on Progressive and or even the Cinematic setting (which I believe is 3:2 Pulldown film conversion mode) the picture is much sharper and less GRAINY than with the DVD outputting a Progresssive signal and the TV on either of these settings. Do my eyes and my mind deceive me or is this what everyone else sees. I have several Superbit(5th E., Dracula, Snatch) titles that I have even tried this on and my thought is that I didn't ever need a Progressive player to begin with. Are the TV's internal components that good or is the History of Psychedelics finally catching up with me.

Thanks for listening and hopefully responding.

2. JoeKreidler

JoeKreidler Extra

Oop's sorry about the bump thing.

For my future reference is there a way to delete posts after the fact?

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I do not have personal familiarity with your components. But, many TV line doublers have become quite good. The Sony XBR series in particular is very good.

If you are seeing a better picture, trust your eyes. You might get your father or a few friends to confirm.

Let them see both setups without any suggestions. Just ask them to watch carefully and decide which is the best picture. And you can flip the test. Get one of your friends to switch back and forth without your knowing which settings are being used. Decide for yourself again. This will be a good way to confirm your suspicions.