Picture Quality on new DLP

Discussion in 'Displays' started by carlos torres, Jul 16, 2004.

1. carlos torres

carlos torres Auditioning

Dec 14, 1998
    Quick question which I probably know the answer to alreay but here goes.
    I juss bought an Samsung HLP5063 HDTV and Samsung HD SAT receiver. They talk to each other via DVI. The output on the HD SAT is set to 1080i. The HD Channels off of DirecTV (like ESPN HD, and HD NET) look really nice but channels like OLN and my local channels look very "blocky". I am assuming this is DirecTV and the broadcast/reception of analog channels being converted by the TV and not so much the quality of the TV.

Is there anything I can do to minize this effect? The analog channels look fine on my Sony 36' WEGA (Tube), but the DLP looks to be exposing the quality of DirecTV broadcasts.

Can someone give an opinion on this? It would be helpful to put my mind at ease.
  2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002
    That's probably just compression artifacts, that's pretty normal on cable and such, it's gonna look crappy, especially on a larger screen. You can be certain it's there on your wega too, you probably dont notice it though.
  3. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003
    Some people have had good success, making sure there Sat box is set to output 480p on non-hd sources.

Many either do no upscalling, and/or will scale it to 1080i which at that res, standard brocast resolution artifacts are really pronounced.

My comcast digital cable / HD box, looked dramatically better outputting 480p for standard sources, and it is all handled internally by the box and some stations just still look like *%#$^&, but most look acceptably decent enough, some look quite good too.