Picture quality of Fox HD MLB broadcast?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by JoeU, Jun 10, 2006.

1. JoeU

JoeU Extra

I'm watching the Athletics/Yankees game right now on Fox, and it's my first MLB game on Fox in HD. I've got to say I'm pretty disappointed with the picture quality, especially as compared to MLB games I've seen on ESPN and INHD. It really doesn't look much better than a good SD broadcast, only it's in widescreen. The image isn't very sharp at all, and there's a lot of noise in the picture, particularly in the stadium crowd or in areas like the pinstripes on the Yankees uniforms. The colors look pretty drab too, not really vibrant like they should in HD. I've only had HD service since February, and since I'm not into NASCAR I haven't watched any Fox HD sports broadcasts until now. Is poor PQ the norm for their HD MLB broadcasts in particular or their sports broadcasts in general? If this is what the NFL looks like on Fox HD I'm going to be really disappointed.

2. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Screenwriter

I'm watching it right now as well and it's pretty bad. However, other FOX-HD MLB games have been pretty good. It seems only yankees games are terrible. Don't think it's true HD. Looks more like an upconverted widescreen SD source. Have to complain to George Steinbrenner about this.

3. Jose Martinez

but that blonde in the stands with the strapless black top still looked mighty fine. Imagine how much better if it was true HD!

[​IMG]

4. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I wouldn't blame George for this. The YES HD games are usually excellent in terms of picture quality. I think this is a Fox issue.

5. RickGr

RickGr Second Unit

I believe the Fox Saturday games are 480p not true HD.

6. JoeU

JoeU Extra

That stinks if that's the case, but as long as their MLB post season coverage is true HD I can live with it since I can get my dose of MLB regular season action elsewhere. As for their NFL coverage, I assume since that's their premiere sports package that they don't do that one on the cheap, at least I hope so. I shudder to think though what all their NFL screen spam will look like in 16x9 on my big screen set. It was bad enough on my old 27" tv.

7. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I have always thought the baseball games on FOX HD looked very poor, gald I am not alone.

8. Mark Schmitt

Mark Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

Me too. I thought it had to with something local. Of course, living in L.A., I never get Yankees games on FOX. [​IMG]

I can assure you though, that their NFL broadcasts look good.

9. larryKR

larryKR Stunt Coordinator

Fox has never broadcast a regular season baseball game in HD. Only the allstar game and post season are in HD. Small regional sports channels spend the extra money for HD, but Fox will not. MLB should require all HD broadcasts for national channels in their next tv contract.

10. Galen_V

Galen_V Second Unit

Yeah, I noticed this during the FOX game last weekend but just thought it was the local affiliate or Cablevision being problematic.

I completely agree--it's a real shame that YESHD does such a fantastic job with their picture during their broadcasts (even showing games at Fenway and Camden Yards in HD), but a major network like FOX doesn't bother to spend the extra cash even when they already do it for NASCAR and the NFL.

11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'm sorry to hear that Fox's sorry MLB-HD broadcasts continue. As a Red Sox fan, I'm very lucky to have NESN broadcast every game in HD... except, of course, those rare Fox-exclusives and (especially sad to say) the post-season.

So, I was going to get my first taste of what I'd hoped to be a new-and-improved FOX HD broadcast on Saturday... but the Red Sox/Rangers game was rained out and we got Yanks/A's instead. I didn't watch, but I'm sorry to hear that Fox's so-called "HD" broadcasts are as pitiful as ever.

12. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

just curious... does every stadium have HD cameras? my friend gets HD broadcasts but was complaining when a Jay game in Tampa looked crap. i assumed it was because the Tampa stadium wasn't equipped (since the screen graphics looked fine). or do all stadiums have HD cameras and we just didn't get it for that game?

13. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I don't think the HD cameras are at every stadium - I think the NESN team lugs 'em around! But I honestly don't know.

This is the first season for which "all games, home and away" are supposed to be broadcast in HD. That's from NESN's advertisements, and so far every game has been in HD... including away games at Tampa Bay! But I believe Tampa was one of the ballparks that didn't get HD coverage in previous years.

14. Jose Martinez

Yup, definitely a FOX issue because their Giants/Mariners game today looks just as bad.

15. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Yankees/Nationals game is SD widescreen as well. Yep, they just don't care.

16. Brad P

Brad P Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't MLB's contract with Fox expire this year? Hopefully, when MLB re-negotiates their contract with Fox or elsewhere, this issue will be resolved.

17. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

Yes the contract does expire after this year.

18. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    This was a topic last year too -- their MLB broadcasts are shitty until the playoffs.

Doug

19. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

Must still be on a stadium basis. From what I understand, HD cameras may still be too expensive for any one stadium to load up on them. The Rogers Centre jumbotron clearly looks HD resolution, but again they must be relying on the Rogers operated HD cams for their own broadcasts.

And is it just me, or does Tropicana Field look dull on TV? Even in HD, it just looks...well, dull. Might partially be because my Jays are always wearing grey in there, but no, no stadium looks so boring on TV as the Trop. Sorry if there are any die hard Devil Rays fans here.

20. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I'm watching Cleveland and Minnesota. This is the first time I've seen a regular season game on Fox in HD, not upconverted SD. [​IMG]