What's new

Picture quality of current DVD players? Options (1 Viewer)

DavidMu

Auditioning
I have a samsung 132 rear pro HDTV only 18 months old

Until now I have had a non-progressive scan pioneer dvd player running through component.

Component is capable of 480p/576p/720p/1080i

I never had a picture quality problem with this setup.

In the last 2 weeks I have tried two different dvd player brands, LG and Pioneer with progressive scan but from some reason using the same component cables as before, the picture has a pattern of lines running through it..

The lines are invisble, ie they blend with the picture and dont have edges so you cant really notice them that easy but its still there.

With the newer dvd players do you need to get higher quality component cables, as the component cables i am using are just standard ones supplied with my STB

Also my LG HDB STB when running through component is ok so I know the cables arent dodgy. I did use the same component cables with a brand new tv at the shop and the picture was ok but i thought with my tv being 18 months old maybe for these players with better pic quality might need better quality cables for my tv to display the good picture..

Also with the more expensive cables I dont want to go buy monster branded $80 component cables but I did see some at JB Hi Fi for about $20 they looked like good ones.

Can someone tell me with the higher quality component cables, what makes them different to just a $10 component cable and If i want to buy a better cable, what should I look for to know its high quality?

Thanks

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I dont think the cables are the problem, unless they are really beat up. Maybe make sure the dvd player is set for progressive-auto (might be a little switch on the back of the dvd player), or make sure its set to display Film source.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's the cables either. You do understand that your Display is providing 480p and mostlike even higher from the 480i input via the component cables as well?

I find it at least somewhat common, that a 480i over component to more modern diplays from DVD actually ends up producing the best picture.

But I also know, finding a truly good 480p and higher DVD player these days is tough, so often the internal de-interlacer (480p) and scalers (Conversion to the native res of the display) inside the display can be best on any given display.

If the display has DVI and/or HDMI you may want to give that a shot as well with an unpconverting DVD player.

Jay Tee

Auditioning
I have to take a different road. I had two sets of component cables. On the basis of a subjective appearence evaluation only, the better quality ones would not work even though I tried five different DVD players so I assumed they were simply a bad set of cables. Then I got a new 50 inch HD plasma screen to which I connected a new quality DVD player and the cables that always worked before did not work and the cable that did not work before now produced a great picture. I cannot explain, I considered the possibility that there could be two types of cables, one made specifically for Y-Pb-Pr and another for Y-Cb-Cr but that is only conjecture. My personal opinion regarding quality cables is that the top ones are necessary only if there is a lot of interference nearby such as microwaves or other sophisticated electronics other than a receiver, speakers or amplifier. At one time I thought the same about cables i.e. more expensive is better but that turned out to cost money and the TV picture quality did not noticibly improve to any extent that I could detect but that judgement may be limited to the circumstances surrounding my particular home theater setup and device locations.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Lines running through the picture, especially at an angle, are usually due to interference of some kind.

Try unplugging everything from the TV and then connecting just the DVD player directly. Then add back one other piece of equipment at a time until you see the lines appear. Generally you should not use cable sets with red, white, and yellow ends for component video. They may work but are more likely to lead to problems such as lines running through the picture, compared with real component cables with red, blue, and green ends.

Usually running a ground wire will help. A 14 or thicker gauge bare wire is easiest to work with. Daisy chain it from one piece of equipment to another, connected to the chassis, or to the cabinet if that is of metal. You can use the screws that hold the cabinet on to the chassis if those screws go all the way into metal inside.

For component video jacks and cables, Y/Pb/Pr and Y/Cb/Cr are the same thing. Technically Y/Cb/Cr stands for a digital video format and would be carried using DVI or HDMI cables, that have one flat plug instead of three round plugs.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks