What's new

Picture problem on my conventional TV...please help! (1 Viewer)

RoyB

Grip
I'm not an electronics whiz and could use some advice. I have a 31" JVC AV31BP6 TV that has the following problem: During certain dark scenes there is a sliver thin white line along the left side of the screen...very annoying when the picture fades to complete black in a dark room and this little line is beaming back at the viewer. It seems like the picture needs to be expanded to fill the entire screen. Also, the top left corner seems to be unable to go completely black. I managed to get a hold of the programming codes and figure out which one was for horizontal position but shifting the picture to the left didn't make any difference. I haven't been able to figure out which code might adjust horizontal picture size. Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it? Should I take it in for service? I did have some large unshielded Klipsch towers sitting fairly close to the TV for a few years but didn't notice any rainbow effect. Does it need to be de-gaussed? Any techies out there with some helpful hints? I hate to drop $150 on diagnostics when I could put it towards a new TV if that's what I need.

Much appreciated...Roy

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
There may be (a one in four chance there is) a horizontal matting control in the service menu that would blacken that annoying white line (and also crop a sliver of picture material off the left edge for some video sources.).
On most TV sets the picture grows slightly when brighter and shrinks slightly when dimmer. This is one or the problems that makes setting the overscan difficult. Since you said you couldn't slide the entire picture over to the left far enough, you need more overscan.
If you can't find the width control in a menu or it doesn't seem to go far enough, there is almost always a manual width control in the rear inside the cabinet. Most folks would prefer to have a technician come in, open up the TV, and make that adjustment.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Any excuse to purchase a new set is good.

I was thinking you have nearly zero overscan.

As for the light splotch, big unshielded speakers can certainly leave last damage on a CRT.

RoyB

Grip
Thanks for the info...this forum is so great! It does sound like an overscan problem. The TV has a complicated menu of adjustments accessed via the remote and I have the ability to access them. Any idea what the code would be for overscan? Should I attempt this myself? Could I ruin my TV? Thanks again...Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks