Picture pixilation and distortion

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dan Shogren, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Dan Shogren

Dan Shogren Stunt Coordinator

Im currently using my old samsung M101 dvd player, and ive noticed that every once in a while the picture will freeze and then start up again, but some weird blocky pixals will show up all over the screen. It doesnt happen too often but its very annoying and ive checked the dvds that do it, and they work fine on my PC and my friends DVD player. My question is, should i get my DVD player looked at, or should i just buy a new and better one?

2. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

Dan, that is certainly up to you. DVD players can be had for a very cheap price these days. It possible that the Optical Laser unit is dirty or defective. In my case, the defective Optical Laser unit was causing my old Yamaha player to do the same thing. I had it repaired under warranty. My guess if you take to a shop for repairs, the cost will exceed the replacement value. BestBuy Panasonic DVD-S35S Progressive DVD/CD/MP3 player $89.99 or even lower priced DVD/CD/MP3 (#KD1220) @ $49.99. You could also try cleaning the lens with a DVD Lens Cleaning Disc, I use one about every month or two to keep the dust off the lens unit.

3. emile engel

emile engel Auditioning

Having the same problem,

I think you guys just solved my problem, dvd lens cleaning
    disc, here i come.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    One of two things. Either the laser is dirty or it is having ttrouble when it switches to the second layer of a dual layered DVD. Does this happen somewhere in the middle of the film all the time in the same spot (layer change)?