Picture off center, help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Pendergraft, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Chris Pendergraft

Chris Pendergraft Auditioning

I own a mits ws-55807 and panasonic rp-91. Now for some time I have notice that the picture is a little off center to the left when watching dvds and playing a playstation 2 game. Most noticable on say the thx logo or when there is writing on the left side of the screen. I called mits and they sent someone out whobasically, without looking at my set, said there is nothing wrong with it. He said he had been on the phone with mits tech support and that because of the guns or different tubes that dvd pictures are off center on all widecrenn tvs. If it was fixed then regular tv signals would then be off center. Now that just doesn't sound right to me so after he left I called mits and the customer support rep set me up with another service center, agreeing with me that his explanation was flawed. The new service center, who are sending someone next week, said that didn't sound right either. I played with my dvd player and also noticed that with progressive scan on it is even more off center (probably why I have been noticing it more lately). I hooked it up through s-video and the picture was perfectly centered. So is it a problem with the component inputs on the set? Also why is it off center more with progressive scan on? Do I also need to get the dvd player serviced?Ijust bought that unit so if that's the case I can just return it for a new one. Thanks for reading and any response is appreciated.
    Chris

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

It's not the tv, it's the rp91. This is a well-known problem with an easy fix. Don't recall the details off the top of my head, but search the forum for the rp91 faq and you'll find it.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

3. Jordan Jensen

I had exactly the same problem using component in on my 55807, int. or pro. Used Avia to set overscan to approx. 5% all around and did centering (horiz. and vert.) at same time. This procedure directly dealt with this issue and it is now perfect. Very evident with the THX intro. as you mentioned.

4. Jordan Jensen

Forgot to mention. I may be wrong, but I do not believe your problem is with the RP91. Again, I had same problem and fixed it in the service menu of the 55807. For more info. on overscan and centering, go to the HomeTheaterSpot.com and look at Mits. tweaks index of procedures. This took me 5 minutes to correct. Good luck.