Picture Noise and other various questions......

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Tim Horn, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Tim Horn

Tim Horn Extra

Hey guys, before I start with my problems I'll tell you my setup. I have a sony wega 34" widescreen tv, A sony dvd home theater system (dvd player and reciever/amp all in one), I have the video aspect of the home theatre system hooked up through component cables. I have just recently bought digital cable so I have the digital cable box (not an hdtv reciever) hooked up to my tv through s-video. I have no audio hooked in to my tv because I have the audio cables (just the regular red and white ones because there is no optical out) hooked from my home theatre reciever/amp to my digital cable box, I also have a cable splitter between my VCR and digital cable box (just in case I want to tape something).

So here's the deal, ever since I hooked up my digital cable I am noticing some video "noise." Basically it is horizontal wavy lines, only noticeable in darker parts of the picture.

I know I have probably confused some of you guys, but does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

My system is a sony DAV-BC250.

Thanks,

Tim

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Cable TV is inherently noisy, and you simply may be noticing it more with your higher-resolution WEGA. So-called digital cable — nonHD "digital" cable — is largely digitized analog, and it often looks atrocious.

3. Tim Horn

Tim Horn Extra

actually the problem is only in DVD movies. The cable picture doesn't really bother me.

4. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

try swapping in a different dvd player, maybe internal(most all in ones tend to be built cheaper with little shielding) maybe swap cables, but if you have an easy to swap player that would tell you more. Did the problem just start with the hookup of the cable? Could be the splitter is emitting RF maybe, are you using a high frequency splitter for digital (regular ones will work but not well)

5. Tim Horn

Tim Horn Extra

no I am using a regular splitter, should I maybe get a digital one?

6. Steve::Weaver

Does the the noise go away when you unhook the s-video from the TV? How about the RCA cables from the cable box to the receiver? Leaving the box hooked to the TV but disconnecting the cable box from the cable outlet? If you can figure out where the noise comes from, you can probably take care of it with a filter or isolator.

7. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

digital spliters (aka high frequency) are required for digital cable, I don't think that's the cause of your problem, unless your getting rf from the splitter (kinda unlikely)

8. Tim Horn

Tim Horn Extra

ok I have figured out the problem. The RCA cables I was using for audio from my reciever to the digital box must be crap because when I removed them and watched a movie the picture was back to normal again.

I am going to go get some better composite sound cables (my system doesn't have optical out or anything.)

Thanks to those who helped, and can you reccommend me a brand of cables? I was thinking monster.

Thanks

Tim

9. Steve::Weaver

I'd just get the chapest gold-plated shielded ones I could find. I'm assuming this is a short run 3-6 feet, and spending big dollars on expensive cables for stereo audio for a cable box seems like a waste of money to me.

The shielding might help with your noise problems, though.

If that doesn't do it, you might try some sort of noise filter. An RCA ground loop isolator designed for car audio use would be a cheap one to try.

10. Tim Horn

Tim Horn Extra

yeah I got those monster thx certified cables ($25) and the picture wasn't fixed. So it seems that whenever I have the audio hooked from the reciever to the digital cable box maybe that gives me the wavy lines?