What's new

Picture in Picture setup with DirecTV/TIVO (1 Viewer)

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure where this goes (Display Devices, Accessories, TV), so hopefully I picked the right area. I have a new 48" Mits that has split screen PIP capability. I also have the Sony DirecTV/TIVO unit with two tuners. That leads me to believe I should be able to setup PIP without another set-top box, right?

On the back of the TIVO unit, there is tuner 1 out and tuner 2 out. I was already using S-video to connect the unit to my TV, so I simply ran video out on tuner 2 to the back of the TV and activated the connection through my TV setup. I do get a picture through both sources, unfortunately it's the same picture. I swapped tuner 2 out for tuner 1 out with the same result.

Anyone have any success with this? I can't figure out what I could be doing wrong.

Thanks,

Brian

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
I am not sure which Tivo model you have but my Sony T60 has only one output. It has Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 inputs. I am pretty sure this is the case with your too.

I think you have everything hooked up the way they should be. All you need to do is select the source for your PIP.

This is to be done on the TV via the remote control. Look at your TV manual and everything will be clear.

Good luck.

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
There's only one S-video out on the T60, but there are two sets of A/V outputs. I just confirmed this on Sony's website (I'm not at home). I have confirmed the A/V out is working, but changing the channel on S-video also changes the channel on the A/V though...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes you have dual tuners but there is only one MPEG decoder in all DirecTivo models. Whatever channel you watch will be output on both composit outputs, the s-video output and the RF output. You will need another DirecTV receiver to make PIP work with two DirecTV channels.

Why do you need PIP anyway. The DirecTivo buffers both tuners. Pause one and use the down arrow to switch to the other tuner. Watch that one for a while. Pause it and switch back. If you are dead set on getting PIP to work get another DirecTivo and using a combination of PIP and pausing, you can watch 4 shows at the same time.

-Robert

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
I think Brian is interesting on using the split screen feature of his TV.

Brian what you need to do is select your TV built-in tuner as one source for 1 screen and the Tivo (video 1 or video 2) as the second source for the other splitted screen.

Tivo can only output one channel at a time although it has 2 built-in tuners. Note that it has 2 outputs but they will be displaying the same viewing material that you have selected to display.

Hope this makes it clear.

Brae

Supporting Actor
I have the Philips DSR6000R DirecTivo receiver-recorder, which has essentially the same guts as your Sony unit, Brian, and the Hughes unit.

On the back of my unit I also have to Composite outputs in additional to the S-video output I send to my receiver. I 'suspect' (meaning I do not know for sure) that yuo run both outputs to your VCR in case you want to save something to the VCR while either watching, or recording something else no one of the tuners.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks