Picture in Picture (pip) problems

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Mark__T, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Mark__T

Mark__T Agent

Basic situation.

hdtv digital cable set top box. (Comcast)
    Panasonic PT-40LC12 TV
    Pioneer VSX-D711 Receiver.

When I had just a digital cable box I was able to use my PiP with no problems.

Now the 2nd picture comes in as all fuzz. Its the same fuzz I would get if the TV wasn't set to channel 4. If I make it the main screen and move the channels up & down-it won't even allow channel 4.

Before I give all the specific hook ups I was wondering if anybody knows how I can remedy the situation.

I want to watch the Lakers & the Red Sox tonight.

Thanks
    Mark

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Does your TV require antenna coax for the PIP inputs and composite (or S-video) for the main? Or does it accept component (or S-video or composite) for both the main and the PIP inputs?

Try hooking up the cable TV cord directly to the TV antenna coax jack with no cable box in between to see what channels the TV can get directly. None of the HDTV channels will come in this way.

If you have only one cable box, you need a splitter for the cable TV cord. One output leg of the splitter goes to the cable box which in turn connects to the TV main input, the other output leg goes directly to the TV, using the TV PIP input.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Mark__T

Mark__T Agent

I just realized, I don't have a TV PIP input. I guess that means that I have 2 receivers since I can get PIP with just the one cable from the outside going to TV main. And the TV main is the only RF connection available.

How can I use the splitter to work now or any other suggestions?